Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pads to face mask causes high AHI
Nasal pads to face mask causes high AHI
[attachment=48931]Hello,
I am using a ResMed 10 machine with good results.  Settings are from 6 to 12 cm.  My AHI runs about 1.8 using nasal pads.
I am having some trouble with tape leaving red areas that break out my skin so I switched to full face mask, adjusted machine and results are 9-11 AHI.  Do I need to raise pressure?
Thanks for help.
Ted
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pads to face mask causes high AHI
Did you change the mask type in the machine's settings?

If your AHI is that high, you have a problem with flow limitations, and it might be the new mask, not its fit.  Its bad fit would mean more leaks, and that would be what we'd be discussing, not a high AHI.

It's bad fit is what has led to lesions on your face where its sealing surfaces rest.

There are soft foam seal liners that can be purchased for many masks, but I have never needed them and have never investigated their acquisition.  Others might reply with that kind of information.

A good quality barrier cream would help with the lesions.  There's a brand called Wellskin and they call their cream 'Barriere", with an e, probably to make it look French.  There must be others, but ask for a barrier cream at your druggist.  You don't normally need a lot.  A small dab smeared over two-three inches will do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed setting from nasal pad to face mask. I use tape for mouth when using nasal pads. Thanks for barrier cream suggestion. Leakage rates with face mask are similar to nasal pads (low). Do I need higher settings because I'm breathing through nose AND mouth with face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
trbeau,
I noticed that you didn't actually attach your chart in your opening post.

You have to be sure that you scroll down after adding the attachment and then go ahead and "insert" the attachment.

Please repost it as it would be easier to answer your questions once seeing the chart.

Thanks. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for pointing out that I had not posted picture.
OK.....Here's where I am.
I wanted to use a face mask to let my face heal from using tape to keep my mouth shut while using nasal pillows.  My average AHI is about 1.5 with nasal pillows and I'm sleeping a little over 8 hours per night.  Overall I'm pretty happy with results except for face breaking out.

I switched to face mask and AHI went to 11.86 first night.  Higher that I've ever seen.  My mouth was open almost all night. Here's OSCAR report:

I put on a neck brace the next night and AHI fell to 3.84.  I observed my mouth was closed all night and I slept much better.  Here's second OSCAR report:

This meets my needs with occasional use of face mask but face mask is really more comfortable than nasal pillow so maybe I'll listen to advice and tinker with settings a bit to see if I can get under 2 AHI.

Any observations and advice would be most appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress report:
After following advice on forum, my AHI has settled down wearing face mask rather than nasal pads.  By pushing mask further up my face/nose I am not having trouble with irritated nose skin.
Here's graphic results:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 293 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 991 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 110 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 134 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 181 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.