Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two weeks now, started ripping my mask off
Surprised 
Two weeks now, started ripping my mask off

So, I posted a few weeks back, about the nasal pillows. I did get a new mask a few days after that, and it was working really well for me, but for 2 nights in a row now, I've been ripping it off in my sleep. I'm supposed to wear it 70% of the 3 weeks before my weight loss clearance appointment and chip download this coming Friday. Anyone else have this issue? I don't realize it until I wake up in the morning and it's on the floor. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two weeks now, started ripping my mask off
Maybe try putting mittens on your hands to make that more difficult.

Have you got a chin strap for the mask - that might make it more difficult to remove easily, too.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Raise you min pressure a bit. Likely with the new mask your feeling a bit smothered . In your sleep smothered equals mask in the floor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got a similar problem. I'm consistently ripping the mask off unaware in my sleep. I tried tightening the mask, but instead I just disconnected the hose in the middle of my sleep... Thoughts? Suggestions? Any would be appreciated....

I think putting mittens on my hands isn't practical for my purposes Smile

I'm using an Airfit F10 mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The chin strap is a good suggestion - it works for me with a Mirage Quattro FFM anyway.

Are you possibly getting more leaks now with the FFM? Some FFMs seem not to tolerate less than perfect cleaning of the silicon cushion, while others seem less sensitive. YMMV.

Regardless of the cause of leaks: enough leakage = ineffective positive air pressure = breathing no better than without CPAP, a/k/a smothering with a thing on your face - leading to the mask being ripped off. Also YMMV.

Another chin strap positive, in my experience, is that (when worn outside of / over the FFM straps) it helps stabilize the FFM, so I experience fewer leaks as well. Again YMMV.

Good luck, please keep the forum posted on how it goes for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I went through this for a good month, which is what resulted in me taking control of my machine, and being fired from the original sleep Doc! I would ask for a higher minimum pressure. Mine tends to swing to high or low, there I no real in between, so some days I would wake up feeling fabulous, and others like a truck ran over me. The solution to my mask removal was an auto set range, vs a continuous pressure. I had to find a new sleep doc that was willing to work with me, but once I figured it out, I haven't had an issue since!
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I found a semi solution. I started wrapping my hair around the top head strap. Like looping my hair around and around. It keeps the mask secure and if I try to pull it off in the night it wakes me up! So for anyone with long hair, this is working for me. I am concerned about my hours on though. I sleep about 5 hours per night because I have a full time job, twin toddlers and a full time college student. I hope this download tomorrow is enough for my surgery clearance
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 318 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,475 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,587 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 229 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 666 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.