Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow dermatitis
Nasal pillow dermatitis
I’ve had an air fit P10 for 7 yrs with no problem. Just developed bad irritation on the exterior of my nose and upper lip from the nasal pillows. Tried lanolin and changed up the pillows and didnt get any relief.  Dermatologist insisted I take a few days off form the cpap which has been awful. I’m concerned that once things heal and I try it again I’ll get the same irritation. I know this is a common problem. If I need an alternative what would be the best low profile  system that I could still use with my resmed machine? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow dermatitis
That's a tough one as the next "low profile" I would use would be the N30i, or the F&P Brevida...but these would also make contact to the nostril entry area.
Have you tried the N20 nasal pillow? That sits on the bridge, but goes around the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the RemZzzs liners for nasal pillows. I started using them because I was getting sores under my nostrils. I like the liners a lot! No more sores, not even red marks. 

They are made of a thin knit fabric like T-shirt fabric. The liners do not have adhesive or velcro tabs. They are held in place simply by the pressure between the mask and your face. I found them a little fiddly at first, but I have learned to hold the liner in place, push it against my nose with one hand, and pull my headgear on with the other hand. It's easy for me now, just had to get the technique down!

The website and directions say to use a new liner each night. I actually use a liner for 3 nights (unless I have a cold or bad allergies). Some users online said they wash and reuse the liners. I tried that, but the liners for nasal pillows curl up when they get wet, and they don't uncurl, not even if ironed. So that didn't work for me. 

I am quite satisfied and recommend them. They may provide enough of a protective layer between your skin and the pillow to prevent the dermatitis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip! Would the N20 cushion fit on my existing P10 system or would I need a new mask and tubing as well?
Post Reply Post Reply
zeak, the N20 nasal cushion would not fit on the P10.

The recommendation of using a liner for the nasal pillow mask is a good one.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.