Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow fitting
Nasal pillow fitting
When I had my titration study, I ended up using a nasal pillow because the nasal mask was irritating with my mustache. In order to stop the leaks, it was snugged up a lot, to the point of my nostrils being squashed upward. Is this the way they are supposed to fit? None of the pics I see online show them tight like that.

Thanks
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow fitting
Nasal pillows should not be shoved in your nose like that. They should be inserted a tiny bit, but mostly just sitting outside of nostril to form a good seal. If they are inserted into your nostril too far, then the pillows are too small. Try one size larger. And be sure to use a tiny bit of lanolin cream in each nostril to keep from getting sores.

You don't want "piggy nose".
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha! "Piggy nose." That's exactly what it was like.
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 10:07 AM)partsmutt Wrote: Ha! "Piggy nose." That's exactly what it was like.

I know and can relate to what you are saying. When I has a sleep study done, the technician "shoved" nasal pillows up my nose to the point that I ripped it off after 20 minutes. I know now she had no idea what she was doing! She literally turned me away from using nasal pillows because of that experience. Then the DME talked me into trying again, but insisted I wear an X Small. It took me awhile and listening to folk here to go a size up.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still debating staying with nasal pillows - namely the ResMed P10. My problem is not with the pillows but being a mouth breather and not having success so far keeping my big fat mouth closed!

As to fit, I got the "kit" which has all three, small medium and large pillows. I tried all three and found they all "work", but the large is the most comfortable to me. The small caused irritation inside my nostril as well as the medium. The large mostly sits outside the nostril and works much like the ResMed F10 full face mask. By that I mean both have a silicone cushion that inflates when the pressure ramps up and that cushion is soft enough to conform to the shape it is pressed up against thus forming a seal. If you push the too hard/tight they actually leak more than if they are "loosely" fitted. So, the size (to me it seems) should be large enough to ensure a seal around the (up against the) outside of your nostril and small enough to not hang over the outside of your nose.

If you have a bushy mustache I would be concerned the hair might be a problem getting a seal. If there is room between your mustache and nose that should not be a problem. In my case I could not stand the feeling of my mustache rubbing against my nose/nostrils, so I always trimmed a slight line along the top of the mustache to keep it away from my nose. That gave room for the pillows to snug up to the nose with no hair in the way. (Sadly my mustache went away when I had to shave my beard to get the FFM to not leak - sigh).

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Yahoo! I got my machine today. I told my DME about the piggy nose and we did a fitting on the mask. Went from a Large to a medium pillow and a looser fit. Ran the mask test on the A10 and everything was great.
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exploring Innovative Approaches to Pillow Packaging alexa2851 0 21 2 hours ago
Last Post: alexa2851
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 252 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,727 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 235 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 433 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 840 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 331 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.