Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow nose sores and lanolin
Nasal pillow nose sores and lanolin
I use the Airfit P10 mask religiously and rarely have any problems, but some reason, out of the blue, I got a couple of those infamous sores just inside one nostril that I've read about folks getting. I did just change out my pillows, so maybe the silicone is stiffer than usual? In any case, they hurt, so I had to switch back to my Airfit N10 nasal cushion mask, which I'm not enjoying by the way (not sure how I ever slept the first few months with that thing on my head).

My question is about the lanolin lotion that seems a popular solution for these sores. Will it help heal the sores, or is it better more as a preventative measure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow nose sores and lanolin
I bought an alternative nasal mask to use when I had problems with pillows. Originally, it was because I was having bruising from the P10 being too tight (big head), but I also have to switch when I have a lot of swelling from congested sinuses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 12:42 PM)Possum Wrote: I use the Airfit P10 mask religiously and rarely have any problems, but some reason, out of the blue, I got a couple of those infamous sores just inside one nostril that I've read about folks getting. I did just change out my pillows, so maybe the silicone is stiffer than usual? In any case, they hurt, so I had to switch back to my Airfit N10 nasal cushion mask, which I'm not enjoying by the way (not sure how I ever slept the first few months with that thing on my head).

My question is about the lanolin lotion that seems a popular solution for these sores. Will it help heal the sores, or is it better more as a preventative measure?

healing and soothing. it's not a lotion, it's pure lanolin, a very thick paste. normally used by nursing mothers to soothe chewed up nipples.

the most popular brand (the one I used getting started on the p10) is lansinoh.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 12:42 PM)Possum Wrote: My question is about the lanolin lotion that seems a popular solution for these sores. Will it help heal the sores, or is it better more as a preventative measure?

It's more of a gel than a lotion. It's like petroleum jelly, but safe for use on silicone. It acts as a lubricant so it soothes and promotes healing, but it also prevents further injury. It's kind of like putting gasket sealer on a gasket, too, or at least feels to me like it gives me a better seal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got myself some pure lanolin and certainly see what everyone means about it not being a "lotion" - it's thicker than Vaseline, almost to the point of being somewhat offputting. Anyway, I put aside my skepticism about putting this stuff in and around my nose, and lo and behold the sores at the base of my nostrils were gone within 2 days. I also got a better seal (leaks back down to 0), so if you're a nasal pillow junkie like me, I can confirm that lanolin is a great accessory.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The lanolin is so thick that, if it sits in my cool bedroom, it will *not* come out of the tube at all. I have to put the tube in my pocket for a while to soften it up.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,971 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.