Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow nostril irritation
Nasal pillow nostril irritation
I recently tried several masks at a supplier while I was away on business (not my local supplier). I found the Pilero nasal mask the softest engineered material out there I have seen by far so I tried it out for a few nights.

The mask is a one size fits all and I have a small face. This mask was by far the most comfortable, especially when it first goes on at night. However, The pillows flare out to fit a wide variety or nostrils. In my case I have a small face and small nostrils. After the 1st night I woke with very sore nostrils. I tried it again a second night and it made the condition much worse, hurting for 5 days.
Is there a nasal pillow mask that might be for smaller faces. I would much prefer this type to full face or nasal. I see there is a Respironix Optilife. I tried the Resmed Mirage which I can't remember what issue it had.

Incidentally, I tried on every mask they had in stock and only had one that did not hurt on my face too bad when I had it on. That is a Devilbiss nasal mask. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the problem with nostril irritation and if so did it go away. Is there a nasal pillow mask for small nostrils? I would much prefer this type.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow nostril irritation
You want to use some Lansinoh HPA cream for the irritation
I don,t use nasal pillows. Once tried Mirage FX nasal mask is so soft , small and only 4 parts including the headgear but didn't work for me
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2012, 09:38 PM)bryank1 Wrote: I recently tried several masks at a supplier while I was away on business (not my local supplier). I found the Pilero nasal mask the softest engineered material out there I have seen by far so I tried it out for a few nights.
The mask is a one size fits all and I have a small face. This mask was by far the most comfortable, especially when it first goes on at night. However, The pillows flare out to fit a wide variety or nostrils. In my case I have a small face and small nostrils. After the 1st night I woke with very sore nostrils. I tried it again a second night and it made the condition much worse, hurting for 5 days.

I've been using the Pilairo now for several months. When I first started it pinched my nose or something giving me a severe pain. Several times I had to stop using it for a few days until my nose recovered. However, I stuck with the Pilairo and now I have not had a single problem with pain for a couple of months.

I stuck with the Pilairo in spite of issues because it is so comfortable and unintrusive. But it's a peculiar mask and some people may not be able to adjust to it. Try to give it a little longer before giving up completely.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a lot of nasal pillow masks out there. I use the Breeze.

A big problem I had with those lightweight nasal pillows is it did not take much to knock it loose. Just the weight of the hose would do it.

If you have a small face, then you want one that has different sized pillows. I am tempted to try the Pilairo, though, just to see what it is like.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some nasal pillows masks have a petite size that is smaller than small.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try HPA Lanolin. Just put VERY litttle on a q-tip and swav it in your nostriles before you use your pillows.
Best of luck on finding the right mask for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2012, 10:09 PM)zonk Wrote: You want to use some Lansinoh HPA cream for the irritation

The Lansinoh cream will help. I switched from a full-face Mirage Quattro mask to a Liberty Mirage (full-face, but with nasal pillows), and I thought I really messed up with this choice.

But, I tried the lanolin cream, and it helped tremendously with the nasal irritation. Plus, I found after continued use that I got better adapted to the nasal pillows. Now, I sometimes fit the mask and forget to use the cream - but it doesn't hurt as severely any more. I'm more used to the mask and am able to stand the irritation better.

Hopefully, you can adapt to the mask too.

Good luck,
John
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband uses the ResMed Swift FX with the "small" nasal pillow. They make sized XS, S, M, L, and you can switch the pillow out without changing the headgear. Good luck!
Soferet [so- FEHR- et; Hebrew; feminine] noun: writer, author

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"
—Ernest Hemingway

Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to check out the nasal pillow mask that I wear - Respironics Optilife. It comes with four pillows: petite, small, medium, and large - and a built-in chin-strap.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2012, 10:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's a lot of nasal pillow masks out there. I use the Breeze.

A big problem I had with those lightweight nasal pillows is it did not take much to knock it loose. Just the weight of the hose would do it.

If you have a small face, then you want one that has different sized pillows. I am tempted to try the Pilairo, though, just to see what it is like.

I was looking at the Breeze. It looks like you can adjust the individual size of each pillow. Are you satisfied with it?

It would be nice if the Pilero had that option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,858 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 863 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.