Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow success ! Thank you
Smile 
Nasal pillow success ! Thank you
Thank you for all the wonderful advice, not just to questions I have posted but also for the great advice given to other members I have read here.

I tried nasal pillows for the first 3 nights on APAP but couldn't get it to work for me, felt like I wasn't getting enough air and had very sore nostrils and struggled to keep it on all night so I got switched to a FFM. I regularly get up to a pressure of 17 or 18 and was struggling with leaks with the FFM, I think from the pressure fluctuations during the night so it decided to try pillows again and ordered a P10 with my new AutoSet.

A larger cushion size, a higher minimum pressure, a little smear of lansinoh on the nostrils and having the headgear a little lower on the back of my head so it holds the pillows in place without the upwards pressure and I think I'm there! It took some persistence as each of these tweaks were done one at a time, I'd try one thing and it would seem ok at the start of the night and an improvement on past tries but would end up switching back to the FFM after an hour or 2. Last night slept 8.5 hours, an AHI under 1, no wake ups, no switching out masks and full of energy during the day.

If it weren't for the advice here I never would have thought to try all these adjustments and it challenged my assumption that I was destined to use a FFM forever so Thanks again to each and all for sharing your experience and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow success ! Thank you
Hi Crist!

Wow, I'm glad you stuck with it and were able to finally be able to use the nasal pillow mask!

I have used a FFM from day one but recently decided to order a ResMed P10 since I read so much positive stuff on here about it. I just got it yesterday and gave it a test run (not sleeping) by wearing it while sitting at my desk goofing off.

At first I got the same impression that you did, I sensed I wasn't getting enough air. However, I kept it on for over an hour without suffocating and it seemed to get better as time went on. Toward the end of the hour I barely noticed the lack of air problem but did notice some soreness. It wasn't actually my nose that was sore but the area just slightly beneath it. I'm sure I can adjust it to fix that so I'm not concerned. I also plan on getting some of the lanolin lube to use.

Thanks for posting your early on experience. It gives me hope that I'll also be able to use the P10 since it has lots to offer over a full face kludge.

Thanks Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to hear a success story !!

Happy it worked out for you.

Sleep-well
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Especially near the beginning of therapy or if your start pressure is too low (or the pillows to small), it might be important to concentrate on just BREATHING.

I have very little trouble, but sometimes in the beginning it was an effort to avoid a claustrophobic or suffocating feeling with that combination.

One other thing, was if I managed to get a little be out of breath or "behind in my breathing" -- it can help to start BEFORE you don the mask with smooth full breathing.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Me too Smile Last night started using ResMed FX for her and I am in love! It's so lightweight and feels like nothing is on your face! I have to thank Galactus for hooking me up with this mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crist,
Glad you were able to use the AirFit P10 and that it was successful. Hopefully, it will continue. Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yah these pillow masks really make the difference. Barefoot, I'm happy to have helped you out, enjoy. SD you better like that mask, otherwise you know what we are gonna do.....
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2014, 01:04 PM)Galactus Wrote: SD you better like that mask, otherwise you know what we are gonna do.....

Oh NO!!!! Not THAT button again. Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinkin' it'd be nice to have a "Push to Talk" button on this P10 mask to temporarily interrupt the air flow so I can say something without sounding like Donald Duck. Every time I try that people laugh. At my age, I already get enough of that without asking for it...oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

Today's test run is giving me a continuous roar through my eustation tubes that I can't stop. It didn't do that yesterday. Pressure is the same and no other changes were made to the S9. Huh I don't suppose there is any way to stop that, just wanted to pass it along.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,614 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,892 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,859 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.