Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow vs nasal mask vs full mouth mask?
Nasal pillow vs nasal mask vs full mouth mask?
Which type of mask do you prefer and why? And what is your preferred mask in general?

Is there a difference in cost if you are paying out of pocket for either the mask or the ongoing maintenance supplies?  I'm going to pick up my first CPAP tomorrow, assuming the DME supplier didn't screw up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow vs nasal mask vs full mouth mask?
The general consensus is to start with the least intrusive (nasal pillows) and if that doesn't work then try a nasal mask, with the full face mask as the last option.

You will see people trying all sorts of strategies to allow the pillows to work, including chin straps and collars. The "least intrusive" is starting to sound like a weak argument in these cases.

Personally I have always used an FFM as I can't be bothered with all the paraphernalia needed to keep the air coming out my mouth with nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with that mask strategy but note, in my case at least, both the sleep lab & dme provider did the opposite, with me failing about 3 each ffm & nasal masks before trying the nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most people will not go with a FFM. I have only used FFM’s,since 2001, so that is all I know. I actually don’t like pressurized air blowing up my nose as tried a DreamWear mask for half a titration.

I know I am fortunate since I have always managed to get a FFM to seal. I do wear a cervical collar and a side benefit is less mouth breathing. My current mask is an F20 and it is by far the best I have used.

I have never taped my mouth so I can’t say how easily it is to be able to get air through my mouth in an emergency. I’m sure there is no issue, but I’m not sure I could even sleep with tape strong enough to seal up under high pressure and rely only on air through my nose. But a lot of people do.

If you don’t mouth breathe I would think pillows or a nasal mask would be preferred.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people find that nasal pillows are not as claustrophobic.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are very very personal.  You really need to find what works for you.  Do not be afraid to try different brands and styles until you find one that works for you.
This can become costly if you are self funding but this is a long term investment and getting it right early will make your CPAP experience a lot more pleasant and hopefully means you stick with the therapy.  I cannot sleep without mine - A recent lung biopsy meant I was off the CPAP for a week - not pretty.

More Importantly at this stage of your journey, make sure the DME gives you a decent machine - at this stage more important than the mask,  Masks change regularly, but your machine should last years and you need a decent, data capable machine - see the FAQ on that.  without a good machine you will judge a mask solely on comfort instead of how effective it is in treating you.  Comfort, while very important is still only one aspect.  Also decent EPR (exhale pressure relief) can make a mediocre mask experience great.  Read the Thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

That said my experience is as follows

I use nasal pillows, specifically the Airfit P10.  I tried a few other pillows before this that did not work as well for me, e.g. the Swift.  The swift was actually not bad but my wife hated the venting on it which was why I switched to the P10 when it was released.  I get great AHI (below 1) with low leakage

I am self funded so could not afford to try a huge variety of masks so I read everything on this forum I could find on masks (there is a lot) before deciding what to spend my cash on.  I tried a ffm and a nasal mask  (I keep them for when I have colds/sinus issues etc) - the leaks for me were atrocious probably because I had extremely severe acne until after 30 and my face is like the surface of the moon. - lots of scar tissue and anything  but smooth.  I had to tighten them to the point of pain, leaving huge red marks all over my face.   This was partly due to the fact I prefer to sleep on my side and that tended to push the FFM/Nasal askew.  That said they both gave great AHI results

If you do not mouth breath pillows work great.  Even with me occasionally opening my mouth that is still way less leakage.   I do use a chin strap now though that is not always effective.  Although it feels like you are bundling up your face, it is still way less confining than the effect of the ffm for me.  In short I hate strapping a hose to my face regardless of the type of mask doing it, but the results for my sleep mean I do it every night.

The venting on the P10 does not usually disturb my wife where the FFM and Nasal were/are hated.  Noisy and a strong stream of cold air that always seemed to find her.  In short if I have to use them she moves  to the spare room.

I do not have any maintenance agreements and find the masks last way longer than advertised as long as you regularly clean them.  I boil the silicon cusions and strap  with baking soda which cleans them great and doesn't leave any scent behing to set off my sinuses.  In the early years I tried a variety of commercial cleaning products but they all took 3 -4 days to de-scent so I didn't continuously sneeze.  The baking soda combines with your natural oils the silicon cushions absorb, making a natural soap that cleanses it.  I then use that to scrub down the other parts, rinse thorougly and dry.  I do the same with the silicon parts of the FFM etc after using them as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure there are any official guidelines on the subject but IMO, if you can breathe through your nose, you shouldn't use a full face mask if at all possible.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2019, 08:51 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: I'm not sure there are any official guidelines on the subject but IMO, if you can breathe through your nose, you shouldn't use a full face mask if at all possible.

Why? That seems like a blanket statement - needs some backup in my view.

For the OP, check out the mask primer: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2019, 09:33 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: For the OP, check out the mask primer: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

Thanks, that's helpful. Something I just realized would be helpful to say - I almost always sleep on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its not a matter of whats best its a matter of what works for you, personally I cant use or tolerate a FFM, tried them for 2 weeks and end the end it would have killed me as I couldn't breathe with them due to small nasal passages and easily inflamed soft tissue.

Nasal pillows work wonderfully for me, used the P10 for a year but finally ditched them due to some design issues, face marking due to straps and also they don't seal as well as my current nasal pillows the F&P Brevida.

But I think you need to try as many different ones as you can, some will work, some wont and hopefully one will be like the magic my Brevida is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 78 1 hour ago
Last Post: Hurdsy
  [CPAP] Cannot keep the mask on stelljesjulius 4 85 4 hours ago
Last Post: stelljesjulius
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,778 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 217 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 105 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Finding the Correct Mask snpperhd 6 152 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: snpperhd
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 989 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.