Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow vs nasal mask vs full mouth mask?
RE: Nasal pillow vs nasal mask vs full mouth mask?
I used the Airfit F20 for nearly a year until I started to have more and more problems. The problems don't need to be mentioned here, but suffice it to say, I was on a quest to find something more comfortable and effective. I took a stab at the F30 and found it amazingly comfortable. And I could adjust the headgear quite loose (comfort) and still maintain a great seal as compared to the F20. I only have occasional problems with the headgear loosening up slightly as it stretches over time. But that is easily rectified once I recognize it has become a problem again.

I switched to the Amara View headgear on the recommendation of one of the members on AB. And that made a significant improvement to an already amazingly comfortable mask.

Unfortunately every face isn't equal. But fortunately, there are countless options available. If your DME or insurance provider lets you try different masks, then take advantage of that service. I'm 100% out of pocket, so scoring a home run with the F30 and Amara View headgear was a big win for me.

If you're not happy with your mask, keep looking. All the best on your quest for the perfect (or pretty close to perfect) fit.
Sleep-well
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow vs nasal mask vs full mouth mask?
I used a Swift LT pillow mask for many years with good success. However, when i upgraded my machine to the Aircurve V10 Auto and was able to use Oscar I found the leaks were high. Tried an F30 and F30i ffm but leakage has been a problem for me. Went back to the Swift and use a variation of chin-up strips to help keep my mouth closed. Chin straps don't cut it for me. I find what really happens is not so much my mouth opening as it is the pressure blowing my lips open.

I use the 3M 2862 Medipore tape and make my own Chin Up strips and found it to be very effective. Better that Somnifix in my opinion as I have a mustache and they don't stick well. If you take two pieces and cut out a U shaped portion a tad larger that an SD card the are very effective at keeping my lips closed yet still allowing emergency breathing through the center of the cutout. Easiest to mount on wax paper or parchment paper before cutting. Takes about 15 minutes to make a 30 day supply and cost is minimal. This allows me to keep using the pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Cannot keep the mask on stelljesjulius 9 140 3 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 55 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,979 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 110 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,818 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 221 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 111 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.