Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow war
So, I had the trouble with nasal pillows popping my mouth open before, but seeing as I'm a glutton for punishment I ordered the opus 360 mask to give it a try. I really want to win this nasal pillow battle, so wish me luck.
(03-22-2015, 11:58 AM)truetopath Wrote: So, I had the trouble with nasal pillows popping my mouth open before, but seeing as I'm a glutton for punishment I ordered the opus 360 mask to give it a try. I really want to win this nasal pillow battle, so wish me luck.

If your mouth pops open, you need a chin-strap . . . .
I've tried and can't get used to the chin straps. I don't have a problem with nasal masks at all, just the pillows, but I'm going to try a mouthguard again and see if that helps.

Hi truetopath,
Good luck to you with the new mask,
I look forward to hearing your results.
trish6hundred
My bet is the mouth guard will make your mouth opening situation worse, not better.

Try using a different chin strap. There are a lot of different kinds out there. Even though they look the same, they are all different enough.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I hope the new mask helps

I have a preference for the nasal mask rather than the pillows, but only if my nose is clear.. Locking my tongue to the roof of my mouth seems to work for me.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what.
(Professor Sir Arthur Eddington, astrophysicist)
(03-22-2015, 12:12 PM)truetopath Wrote: So, I had the trouble with nasal pillows popping my mouth open before, but seeing as I'm a glutton for punishment I ordered the opus 360 mask to give it a try. I really want to win this nasal pillow battle, so wish me luck. ....

I've tried and can't get used to the chin straps. I don't have a problem with nasal masks at all

Are the masks uncomfortable for some reason? What's the driver to force something that doesn't work well in place of something that does?

OMM
I like the minimalistic approach of the pillows, and they were really comfortable when I tried them. It's just the pressure popping the mouth open that causes my problem, which I figure if I stick with I can overcome. I wore a chin strap last night to try and get used to them while I'm awaiting the arrival of the mask. Hopefully, my chin strap desensitization plan works.

Well I managed to sleep a whole night with a chin strap on to try and desensitize myself in anticipation of my pillows arriving. I'll take the little victory!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth guard or pillow? EssienM 0 26 1 hour ago
Last Post: EssienM
  Nasal pillow life unofon 5 629 11-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Last Post: unofon
  respironics pillow covers? metropical 3 344 11-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal pillow Vs full face unofon 4 659 10-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Last Post: unofon
  [Equipment] Modding Resmed FX pillow mask, no turbo air flow DaveDog 9 467 10-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask? Spy Car 40 2,608 10-15-2016, 06:11 AM
Last Post: rwelliot
  Anyone Glue The Pilairo Mask Pillow On? player 7 1,228 10-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2