Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow war
RE: Nasal pillow war
It's an art-form True, not a Science. First, make sure the chinstrap is gently encouraging your jaw to stay, or come forward. Sometimes they can actually push the jaw back which is just what you do not want to have happen. Then keep practicing using your tongue on the roof of your mouth to make the seal which blocks the airway. When you get good at it, you can actually open your mouth when the machine is running and short of sounding like a freight train no air escapes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 07:35 PM)retired_guy Wrote: It's an art-form True, not a Science. First, make sure the chinstrap is gently encouraging your jaw to stay, or come forward. Sometimes they can actually push the jaw back which is just what you do not want to have happen. Then keep practicing using your tongue on the roof of your mouth to make the seal which blocks the airway. When you get good at it, you can actually open your mouth when the machine is running and short of sounding like a freight train no air escapes.

I have my homework cut out for meThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Any recommendations for a chin strap that doesn't push your jaw back...and one that leaves ears uncovered...and one that isn't too bulky? While I'm asking, I'm having a hard time finding either a nise mask or pillows that I don't dislodge during the night. Always about fours into the sleep. Thanks for any advice...it's all appreciated.
Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
Post Reply Post Reply
You can always try duct tape Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Puresom Ultra chinstrap. It's a single strap that does not suck up your entire head when you put it on. Some use an ace bandage to accomplish the same thing, but the Puresom has a cup in it to hold your chin.

As far as nasal/pillows masks? There can be only one. The P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 08:11 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I use the Puresom Ultra chinstrap. It's a single strap that does not suck up your entire head when you put it on. Some use an ace bandage to accomplish the same thing, but the Puresom has a cup in it to hold your chin.

As far as nasal/pillows masks? There can be only one. The P10.

retired_guy,
I bought the Puresom Ultra chinstrap and the chin cup part is too big for me.
One size doesn't fit all! I would like to find a similar one without that chin cup.
The single strap is nice, but after a couple of hours into the night, I find that dang chin cup over my lips. Oh-jeez
But I do like the P10. Smile
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed makes one that's similar. But I don't know if the cup is smaller or not. Maybe stick with the Puresom and do some "chin-up" exercises.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 08:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Resmed makes one that's similar. But I don't know if the cup is smaller or not. Maybe stick with the Puresom and do some "chin-up" exercises.

Ha, ha,
I wonder if a chin strap can get rid of a double chin??
I also wonder if nasal pillows can make your nostrils larger over time!

I need to stop wondering. Oh-jeez
OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 07:52 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: Any recommendations for a chin strap that doesn't push your jaw back...and one that leaves ears uncovered...and one that isn't too bulky? While I'm asking, I'm having a hard time finding either a nise mask or pillows that I don't dislodge during the night. Always about fours into the sleep. Thanks for any advice...it's all appreciated.

Hilobarbie,
Im finding out that picking out a chin strap is as individual as finding the right mask.

Try to find a chin strap that is not too wide, and has one strap, that way you avoid the strap over ear problem. Sometimes it helps to place the chin strap over the
mask, but some like it just the opposite, by wearing it under your mask. Good luck in finding the right combination. Smile
OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I like wearing it under the mask. That way when I get up in the night I can take off the mask and leave the chinstrap alone. Otherwise there's so darn much stuff to do it's hardly worth getting up in the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.