Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillow with rotating hose connection ??
Nasal pillow with rotating hose connection ??
I would like to hear about any nasal pillows masks that allow the hose to rotate up over the forehead. (I use a hose hanger pole) Does this always put akward "up" pressure on the nostril interface?
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow with rotating hose connection ??
I'm using a Nuance Pro with a hose hanger, and I've found hanging the hose to provide me a better seal.

YMMV. The Nuance Pro pillows are different from regular pillows (they have a gel seal that seals around the outside of the nostril, with only a small part intruding inside the nostril).

I really like the pillows--I have a pretty severe deviated septum, and these pillows give me a very good seal. My main gripe with the Nuance Pro is the straps run right up next to my eyes. I'm looking at trying a regular Nuance and see if the straps sit any differently.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Resmed P10 rotates at the hose connector. If you are referring to ability of the hose to rotate upward from the nasal mask then the Swift FX II pivots and enters the side(users choice) of the mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Pilairo Q does what you describe.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 does this by virtue of the hose being so pliable and bendable that it can move wherever you want it to. The FX actually has a rotating elbow, but I found it to not be as easy to live with as the P10. For a while I had the FX hose ty-wrapped up to the headgear so that it would always go up over my head, but don't need that with the P10.

It seems that there is a foot or so of extra hose that you can drape out in whatever direction suits you, and that whatever direction that is will cause a little pressure on the pillows in that direction. Since I seem to have a more-open airway if I slightly tilt the end of my nose up anyway, I drape the hose to facilitate that. I guess that could be bothersome, but I apparently am now used to it. I really don't feel that I have a mask on. If I wake up I have to actually think "am I wearing the mask?" because I can't tell unless I actually think about it.

There are two things which possibly make this a little better:

1) I re-engineered the $11 hose hanger to boom out over my head; the hose essentially drops straight down in front of my face.

2) I use a fleece hose cozy. Highly recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2015, 05:46 PM)macbob Wrote: I'm using a Nuance Pro with a hose hanger, and I've found hanging the hose to provide me a better seal.

YMMV. The Nuance Pro pillows are different from regular pillows (they have a gel seal that seals around the outside of the nostril, with only a small part intruding inside the nostril).

I really like the pillows--I have a pretty severe deviated septum, and these pillows give me a very good seal. My main gripe with the Nuance Pro is the straps run right up next to my eyes. I'm looking at trying a regular Nuance and see if the straps sit any differently.

I am a fan of the Nuance Pro as well -- and I use a hose hanger to help keep it out of my way. The Nuance Pro's headgear has a loop you can run the short hose through to set it to run up over your head -- although I find it easier to just use the hose hanger and skip that loop.

(06-08-2015, 08:56 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: The P10 does this by virtue of the hose being so pliable and bendable that it can move wherever you want it to. The FX actually has a rotating elbow, but I found it to not be as easy to live with as the P10. For a while I had the FX hose ty-wrapped up to the headgear so that it would always go up over my head, but don't need that with the P10.

I've also used the P10 with the hose hanger, and it also works well with the hose hanger set-up. While it doesn't rotate in the same way the Nuance Pro does, it is flexible/pliable enough that is not an issue.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. This is good information. I am going to go off and research these and read in the product reviews to select one.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a P10 and a hose hanger. I find that the P10's design of rotating swivel at the hose connector end makes it less likely to be torqued off my nostrils when I move about. Also, this helps me to wear the P10 very loose. I have not had a single Large Leak event with this config.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Macbob -- if you switch to the regular fabric Nuance, they also have an "RS" version of the part of the mask that holds the pillows. It's two inches shorter than the same part on the regular fabric Nuance.

I am also annoyed with the straps being up near my eyes. With the "RS" which means "Reduced Size", I have a better chance of keeping them out of my eyes. The other trick I've been using is to attach the velcro on the RS Nuance cheek straps to the Ruby fusion chinstrap which I wear underneath the mask. This allows me to anchor those straps lower and keep them from moving upwards during sleep to my outer eyelids.

I posted some photos of the difference in the two versions of the Nuance fabric mask on another thread. And I think I also posted the part number. You should be able to find those posts via search using my name.

You may need to work a bit with your DME to get the shorter version of the Nuance face piece. Definitely have the part number and insist that they contact Philips if they don't have it listed in their database. Mine didn't and it took getting in touch with a supervisor to discover that yes, they carried that part, but didn't have it listed where the phone sales personnel could find it in the database.

One other solution I've used is to buy some "hose clips" which I found on Amazon. The heated-humidified hose that came with my Airsense is much heavier than the machine hose I used before, and so tends to pull more on the hose from the mask. So I put the Nuance hose on the head holder but also add a hose clip and clip it to one side of the strap that goes over the head. This also helps to angle the airvent away from my eyes, as well as stabilize the entire mask assembly even more. My leakage problem is finally improving with these techniques to keep the mask where I put it before I fall asleep and turn around from side to side during the night.

(06-08-2015, 05:46 PM)macbob Wrote: I'm using a Nuance Pro with a hose hanger, and I've found hanging the hose to provide me a better seal.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 978 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,617 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 239 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,095 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
Question Hose volume Willw 4 278 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 313 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 503 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.