Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-14
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Nasal pillows
Hello,

I have downloaded the Resmed software to review my sleep events. Everything looks good. I have low leak (using nasal pillows) usually 0 leak? and usually under 5 AHI (usually some central and some apnea and a few hypopneas). However, I have some issue with the nasal pillows--

1. My nose is very sore and painful around the nostril area.

2. Sometimes it feels like the nasal pillows "slip" off my nose and I would like to know of a good way to make sure that doesn't happen.

3. Does anyone know what minute ventilation is important? What about flow limitation? I would like to know how to interpret my results better using all of the available graphs.

Thanks,
Jon
09-14-2015 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Nasal pillows
(09-14-2015 12:36 PM)jmkejbm Wrote:  Hello,

I have downloaded the Resmed software to review my sleep events. Everything looks good. I have low leak (using nasal pillows) usually 0 leak? and usually under 5 AHI (usually some central and some apnea and a few hypopneas). However, I have some issue with the nasal pillows--

2. Sometimes it feels like the nasal pillows "slip" off my nose and I would like to know of a good way to make sure that doesn't happen.

3. Does anyone know what minute ventilation is important? What about flow limitation? I would like to know how to interpret my results better using all of the available graphs.

Thanks,
Jon

I'll let the nasal pillow users give tips on that issue.

Minute Ventilation (MV) is equal to the respiratory rate times the Tidal Volume. MV = RR x TV.
Example: RR = 15 per minute
TV = 500 ml (which is 0.5 Liters)
MV = 15 x 0.5 = 7.5 Liters per minute.
Since it's a calculated number, it's not very important as the RR and TV are more primary data.

Flow Limitation is a scoring of the machine for the shape of the inhalation waveform. When it flattens on top, it indicates flow limitation. The 0 to 1 scale is just a relative scale. It can signal impending obstructive apnea. And auto PAP machine may raise pressure to quash flow limitation.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-14-2015 01:22 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

sore nares...

Clean pillows. (I use them once then wash otherwise i get sore)
Some folk like to use lanolin - it's soothing, and a little sticky
I like to put black seed oil on my nose in the morning, it's anti-inflammatory and promotes healing of any microabrasions. It is lightly aromatic, tho so I don't use it at night for fear it would break down the silicon

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 02:37 PM by DariaVader.)
09-14-2015 02:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

HI jmkejbm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try some HPA lanolin cream, Put a "little" bit on a cotton swav and rub it into your nostriles and that should help with the soarness.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
09-14-2015 04:32 PM
Possum Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

(09-14-2015 12:36 PM)jmkejbm Wrote:  Hello,

Thanks,
Jon

With nasal pillows, I think all too often people are not using the correct size. Your supplier will likely tell you to use the smallest size that fits but I think that is bad advice. With the Airfit P10 mask, the medium technically fit, but I had problems with sore nostrils, eventually leading to an infected sore inside my nose. Eventually I determined that it was because the medium pillow was going too far up into my nose and causing irritation. I switched to the large pillow, and it rests more outside my nose but usually has just as good of a seal. It is also easier to breathe through.
11-16-2015 06:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Welcome to ApneaBoard jmkejbm!

I was going to suggest the same as Possum. I am wondering if you need to move up a size of nasal pillows. If you are using M, go up to L or whichever is the case.

Keep us posted.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
11-16-2015 07:37 PM
otrpu Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset w/Oxi
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: RespCareHYB500
Humidifier: ClimateLine, Socked, set 3
CPAP Pressure: 9-17

Other Comments: COPD

Glad I came across this thread. Have been having no end of problems with leaks with my ffm. Ordered a hybrid to see if I can stop the leaking. Read elsewhere ffm are harder to seal due to greater mask size/seal area. See profile for present mask. Hope the hybrid works out better.

Cheers,
otrpu

Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
11-16-2015 10:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 220 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 502 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 744 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 21 1,777 10-18-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Opus 360 Nasal Pillows holden4th 1 203 09-29-2016 05:33 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  ResMed Airfit P10 Pillows HL649 6 830 09-20-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Hope2sleep
  [CPAP] Nasal swelling while using pillows Wellington 5 309 09-14-2016 07:47 PM
Last Post: Wellington