Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows
Nasal pillows
Hello,

I have downloaded the Resmed software to review my sleep events. Everything looks good. I have low leak (using nasal pillows) usually 0 leak? and usually under 5 AHI (usually some central and some apnea and a few hypopneas). However, I have some issue with the nasal pillows--

1. My nose is very sore and painful around the nostril area.

2. Sometimes it feels like the nasal pillows "slip" off my nose and I would like to know of a good way to make sure that doesn't happen.

3. Does anyone know what minute ventilation is important? What about flow limitation? I would like to know how to interpret my results better using all of the available graphs.

Thanks,
Jon
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows
(09-14-2015, 12:36 PM)jmkejbm Wrote: Hello,

I have downloaded the Resmed software to review my sleep events. Everything looks good. I have low leak (using nasal pillows) usually 0 leak? and usually under 5 AHI (usually some central and some apnea and a few hypopneas). However, I have some issue with the nasal pillows--

2. Sometimes it feels like the nasal pillows "slip" off my nose and I would like to know of a good way to make sure that doesn't happen.

3. Does anyone know what minute ventilation is important? What about flow limitation? I would like to know how to interpret my results better using all of the available graphs.

Thanks,
Jon

I'll let the nasal pillow users give tips on that issue.

Minute Ventilation (MV) is equal to the respiratory rate times the Tidal Volume. MV = RR x TV.
Example: RR = 15 per minute
TV = 500 ml (which is 0.5 Liters)
MV = 15 x 0.5 = 7.5 Liters per minute.
Since it's a calculated number, it's not very important as the RR and TV are more primary data.

Flow Limitation is a scoring of the machine for the shape of the inhalation waveform. When it flattens on top, it indicates flow limitation. The 0 to 1 scale is just a relative scale. It can signal impending obstructive apnea. And auto PAP machine may raise pressure to quash flow limitation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
sore nares...

Clean pillows. (I use them once then wash otherwise i get sore)
Some folk like to use lanolin - it's soothing, and a little sticky
I like to put black seed oil on my nose in the morning, it's anti-inflammatory and promotes healing of any microabrasions. It is lightly aromatic, tho so I don't use it at night for fear it would break down the silicon
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
HI jmkejbm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try some HPA lanolin cream, Put a "little" bit on a cotton swav and rub it into your nostriles and that should help with the soarness.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2015, 12:36 PM)jmkejbm Wrote: Hello,

Thanks,
Jon

With nasal pillows, I think all too often people are not using the correct size. Your supplier will likely tell you to use the smallest size that fits but I think that is bad advice. With the Airfit P10 mask, the medium technically fit, but I had problems with sore nostrils, eventually leading to an infected sore inside my nose. Eventually I determined that it was because the medium pillow was going too far up into my nose and causing irritation. I switched to the large pillow, and it rests more outside my nose but usually has just as good of a seal. It is also easier to breathe through.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard jmkejbm!

I was going to suggest the same as Possum. I am wondering if you need to move up a size of nasal pillows. If you are using M, go up to L or whichever is the case.

Keep us posted.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad I came across this thread. Have been having no end of problems with leaks with my ffm. Ordered a hybrid to see if I can stop the leaking. Read elsewhere ffm are harder to seal due to greater mask size/seal area. See profile for present mask. Hope the hybrid works out better.

Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,095 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 494 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 446 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 972 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 535 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 946 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 582 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.