Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows?
Nasal pillows?
OK, as much as I have disliked when I have tried nasal pillows in the past, I am thinking I may have to have a flappy skin thing cut off my face between my eye and the bridge of my nose. If so, I will not likely be able to use my traditional nasal mask for a couple of weeks as this thing is right under the mask seal.

There are a few that I have seen mentioned from time to time but haven't paid much attention as I never intended to use one. I know it is all subjective, but I usually haven't had much trouble switching from mask to mask and I'm hoping that will be the same with switching to pillows for a while and I am hoping that like the nasal masks, it won't matter much which one I end up with. What are the school solution(s) nowadays?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows?
I found the P10 to be very comfortable. My problem is that I am a mouth breather and could not find a reliable way short of super glue to stop that.

The "secret" for me to the P10 being comfortable is to put in on very loose. From the descriptions I hear of how people do it on here, I think most have it way to tight. With me, it sealed perfectly when as loose as I could get it and then tried breathing in and out a couple times and it would inflate and seal. So, loose but not flopping around.

Good luck!
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to get my P10 angled just right into (maybe onto) my nostrils and I'm usually good for a while or until my bathroom break.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 09:28 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: I have to get my P10 angled just right into (maybe onto) my nostrils and I'm usually good for a while or until my bathroom break.

Mine was the same way until I discovered I was putting it on upside down. The letters indicating left and right are supposed to be on the bottom. Once I changed that It sort of "sucks" itself into place when it gets near my nostrils and inflates. Occasionally it would move and I would ahi etc just left it off a bit and it would reseat itself perfectly.

I guess I was lucky with that, if I could just keep my big mouth shut it would have been my favorite mask.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try the Amara View full face mask. I used that when I had a pimple on the bridge of my nose that wouldn't heal because it was right where my usual mask touches.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 is probably one of the best. The only problem I have is too big of a head - which tends to cause my nose to bruise. I'm one of those folks who can never buy regular winter hats at the store.
Post Reply Post Reply
If tried a couple different pillow masks, and the P10 is my choice.
The secret is to use one size up in pillow than you think you need. Don't try to shove the pillows up into your nose. Should rest comfortably under nose.

Pillows will inflate after air is on, and you can wiggle the pillows a little to get a good seal.
Always use a lanolin cream, or your will have sore nostrils. Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 06:33 AM)OpalRose Wrote: The secret is to use one size up in pillow than you think you need. Don't try to shove the pillows up into your nose. Should rest comfortably under nose.

Always use a lanolin cream, or your will have sore nostrils.

Absolutely and positively. I read about piggy nose and it is obvious that people are trying to seal the pillow by pulling it up tight against the nose, that I learned the hard way was wrong. I put in on and took a couple breaths and I could feel it inflating and pulling away from my nose and sealing.

Wink
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Another P10 user here.
For me, head gear does not have to be tight. Once the air starts I pull slightly and the pillows inflate creating a seal.
This mask is light, comfortable and quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 07:20 AM)Basz Wrote: Another P10 user here.
For me, head gear does not have to be tight. Once the air starts I pull slightly and the pillows inflate creating a seal.
This mask is light, comfortable and quiet.

Yup, and the super flexible hose extension connected to it is really nice in reducing the tugging when you move your head around. I wish I could wear my P10 Sad
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,771 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 392 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 485 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.