Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows?
RE: Nasal pillows?
(05-02-2016, 06:33 AM)OpalRose Wrote: If tried a couple different pillow masks, and the P10 is my choice.
The secret is to use one size up in pillow than you think you need. Don't try to shove the pillows up into your nose. Should rest comfortably under nose.

Pillows will inflate after air is on, and you can wiggle the pillows a little to get a good seal.
Always use a lanolin cream, or your will have sore nostrils. Sad

Is there a secret to learning what size 'pillows' you need? I've always thought I needed a medium pillow as that is what I used when I had the Swift FX for her mask. When I order the P10 for her, they always send only XS, Sm and Med. I have ordered a size lge from an online supplier, but honestly I don't know if the lge is better than the med. I guess I should have figured this out by now, but I haven't.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 11:08 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 06:33 AM)OpalRose Wrote: If tried a couple different pillow masks, and the P10 is my choice.
The secret is to use one size up in pillow than you think you need. Don't try to shove the pillows up into your nose. Should rest comfortably under nose.

Pillows will inflate after air is on, and you can wiggle the pillows a little to get a good seal.

Is there a secret to learning what size 'pillows' you need? I've always thought I needed a medium pillow as that is what I used when I had the Swift FX for her mask. When I order the P10 for her, they always send only XS, Sm and Med. I have ordered a size lge from an online supplier, but honestly I don't know if the lge is better than the med. I guess I should have figured this out by now, but I haven't.

When my DME sent me a P10 to test/trial it came with three sizes of pillows - small, medium and large.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 11:20 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 11:08 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:

When my DME sent me a P10 to test/trial it came with three sizes of pillows - small, medium and large.

When I started using the AirFit P10, I had purchased the mask from an online merchant and I guess because they saw I was female, they automatically sent me the 'for her' version of P10. Why? I don't know. I'm wondering if the regular P10 and the for her version headgear are the same size?

Post Reply Post Reply
OMMOHY

If the question is not too intrusive, is this like a skin tag?

I have had quite a few removed. Usually an RF cautery device called a Hyfrecator is used. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyfrecator

I'd dislike an electric arc close to my eye.

Well, wishing you the best,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2016, 11:27 AM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 11:20 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 11:08 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Is there a secret to learning what size 'pillows' you need? I've always thought I needed a medium pillow as that is what I used when I had the Swift FX for her mask. When I order the P10 for her, they always send only XS, Sm and Med. I have ordered a size lge from an online supplier, but honestly I don't know if the lge is better than the med. I guess I should have figured this out by now, but I haven't.

When I started using the AirFit P10, I had purchased the mask from an online merchant and I guess because they saw I was female, they automatically sent me the 'for her' version of P10. Why? I don't know. I'm wondering if the regular P10 and the for her version headgear are the same size?

The For Her version is smaller by about 3/4 inch per side. I have used this head gear, and I'm anything but petite. Spreading the straps will allow it to fit a larger head size, and all the P10 head gear tends to stretch in time. Still, you should just use the regular headgear if you are average to above average face/head size.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish they made an XL pillow. The large is worming its way up into my schnoz.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only used the Swift FX, which works fine for me. Maybe someday I'll try the P10, since it has so many fans here.

Anyway, I agree with the point about not adjusting the pillows too tight. When you're new to them, you expect to need that, because they seem so insubstantial. If I have them just resting against the nostrils with a pressure little more than gravity (if I were standing on my head), I get fewer leaks and no sores or need for lanolin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 08:27 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: OK, as much as I have disliked when I have tried nasal pillows in the past, I am thinking I may have to have a flappy skin thing cut off my face between my eye and the bridge of my nose. If so, I will not likely be able to use my traditional nasal mask for a couple of weeks as this thing is right under the mask seal.
In addition to looking at nasal pillows you might also want to look at some of the new "mini-nasal" masks that have a much smaller footprint than a traditional nasal mask with a forehead support.

Maybe something like the PR Dreamweaver might work. It doesn't really cover the nose, but it's also not a nasal pillows mask either. The PR Wisp is pretty small, but it does cover part of the nose.

The Resmed Swift FX Nano replaces the FX's nasal pillows with a mini-nasal mask that covers just the tip of the nose. The Resmed AirFit N10's headgear is vaguely similar to the P10's, and it also has a mini-nasal cushion.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the responses, I appreciate the input.

OK - heard back from dermatologist after getting this thing removed. Nasal mask has continued to be OK for me, but I am now told that I have to go back for more surgery. I am expecting that this will be more invasive and so I really am going to have to move to a nasal pillow mask (don't want mask riding on stitches if I can avoid it).

Any further thoughts? I spoke w/ DME provider and will go in sometime in the next week for a "fitting" (yeah, like I can't do that myself, well, I guess it will allow me to try out some different ones). Any further thoughts in the last couple of months as to what to try? I intend to try on the P10 and the Swift FX pillow mask but am open to others of course.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I would recommend making sure that you're able to hook up to a CPAP machine and lie down for the test. If that's not possible, I'll just say to try to get a "fit pack" with three sizes of nasal pillows so you can experiment after you get home.

You may find that you need a hose hanger or hook to support the weight of the hose. Otherwise, you're more likely to get sore spots on your nose. (Although I have been using my P10s for 2 months now and still haven't gotten that hanger.) I do use a tiny bit of oil on my nares. I have only had a slightly sore nose on two mornings, though. I put on my P10s, seat them carefully and adjust the headgear, then turn on the CPAP machine and never touch the nasal pillows again most nights.

One of the best parts of the P10 design is the super light (often called "flimsy") hose that interfaces between the nasal cushions and the CPAP hose. Maybe using a hose hanger would compensate for the greater weight of other nasal pillows. Haven't tried it.

After using a size "S" nasal pillow for about 3 weeks, I tried the "M" and found that it was more comfortable when sleeping on my side. When I was using the "S", I would feel a bit of pressure against my nares when I moved to my side. If I had a size "L" pillow, I'd try that, too. It seems to me that it's possible to use more than one size comfortably. (I have a "For Her" mask which came with pillow sizes XS, S, & M.)

That's my 2 cents worth of assorted details. I hope some of it's helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.