Galactus Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics System One PRS1 DS760P Auto BiPAP
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier + Climate Line
CPAP Pressure: E/I 13/20 PS 4/7 BiFlex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Sleep can be a good thing.

Sex: Male

RE: Nasal pillows P10: regressing
Sometimes the inside wall of the nasal pillow on the p10 sticks to the outside wall and causes what you describe. Clean it with a mild soap and water and blow dry it by using the machine, that usually clears it up for me. When that no longer works it is usually time to change the pillows. That is my experience ymmv of course.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
12-03-2014 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ScottW Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed 9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed Climate Line
CPAP Pressure: 13
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I'm glad I found this thread because I have been regressing for the past couple of weeks for some reason. I had an adjustment period when I switched to the P10 about a year ago, but then everything was fine. Recently, though, I began to feel like I couldn't get enough air into my lungs. I would put the mask on and suddenly start breathing strongly and deeply. Maybe it amounts to the same thing as the smothering feeling. And it might be that I just started a new job and there's an overwhelming load of work to do.

My breathing would always settle down after about 15 minutes. By then, the machine would have reached the prescribed pressure, which is 13 for me.

Based on suggestions I read here, I decided to get rid of the ramping altogether and it made a big difference. Last night I turned on the auto-start, no ramp, and an EPR of 3. I had a little of the feeling that I needed to breathe deeply, but only for a minute or so. So I think I'll try without the auto-start tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, thanks for the advice as always.

Scott

Meet you in the land of nod
- Johnny Mercer
02-04-2015 07:11 AM
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(12-03-2014 02:59 AM)Visitor Wrote:  ...I taped a bit rolled up tissue on the skin below the mask to give it extra support (holding it in the right position) and it works like a charm...

I may just have to try that. It seems like just getting the pressure right might not always be the 100% zero AHI fix. Pressure will keep your throat from collapsing (we hope) but often there are other things that are restricting your airway that xPAP might not address. Maybe that would prevent some of the residual events I am having, and get my 1.8 even lower.

For instance, I find that my airway is much more open if I just press the tip of my nose up slightly with my finger, a dramatic difference, in fact. I could just try to hold my nose like that all night, but it doesn't quite seem like that would be possible (people tell me my nose is way too far up in the air most of the time anyway). Probably don't want to walk around all day doing that with your finger either.

For that reason, I drape the hose so it sort of pulls my nose up, which seems to be better. But I have been toying with the idea of finding a way to get the P10 to do this more efficiently, so you have given me a great starting point (thx).

My experience with NP is that I feel like I am not getting enough air when the pillow size is too small. I went from small, to medium, and finally to large, and I do not get that "too little air" feeling now.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 01:10 AM by TyroneShoes.)
02-05-2015 01:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

Hi Visitor,
I like your idea of taping tissue on skin below the mask for extra support. I am going to try that.
I've always felt like the P10 was being pulled down a bit, even after adjusting straps. If I supported it with my hand where the venting is, the leaks decreased.
Of course you can't sleep with your hand supporting your mask under your nose!
I also changed from extra small pillows to the small pillow which seemed to fit better.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
02-05-2015 11:03 AM
AshSF Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 D560TS
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10, Bkup: Airfit F10 & Quattro Air
Humidifier: PRS1 60 series with Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 8 w/ Aflex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Using APAP mode with fixed pressure

I read in another thread that some people have put O-rings under the nasal pillows to give it some support and had good results due to it. Just make sure you don't order the O rings from the same supplier who supplied NASA Smile

YMMV.

Started APAP 4-20, Closed range to 7.5-14, then straight 8.0 w/ Aflex 3
RDI always below 1. But sleep much much better at straight pressure.
Started on F10, Tried Quattro Air successfully. Finally settled on P10.
02-05-2015 11:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 182 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 496 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 732 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 21 1,765 10-18-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Opus 360 Nasal Pillows holden4th 1 199 09-29-2016 05:33 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  ResMed Airfit P10 Pillows HL649 6 825 09-20-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Hope2sleep
  [CPAP] Nasal swelling while using pillows Wellington 5 308 09-14-2016 07:47 PM
Last Post: Wellington