Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows P10: regressing
Nasal pillows P10: regressing
I'm using the P10. The last few weeks, I'm regressing. I feel really bad when I wake up, the way I used to before discovering CPAP.

Pressure is at 9.

I feel as if I don't get enough air.

I suspect a lot of leaks (when I wake up I hear the whistling and have to adjust since the headstraps that shift when I sleep on my back).

I consistently get ahi between 0 and 1.

I feel as if I don't get enough air. Yet I clean the mask very regularly.

I'd like to find out whether I need to change something. Set the pressure lower? It was at 8.5 before.

Could frequent leaks cause this hassle? The Breas software seems to indicate that leaks are within range (when I compare it with the manual's intended range). Yet I know I find a leak whenever I wake.

I'm concerned at the regression as it is affecting me badly.

Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows P10: regressing
Hey Visitor, nice to hear from you.

We have ups and downs with this stuff. When you have a down period, it's time to go back to the basics.

Start by washing your headgear in nice hot water and let it air dry. Don't wring it out, just let it do it's own thing. That should cause it to shrink back towards what it was when it was new.

Do you own a new set of pillows? It may be time to swap out your old ones. At least wash them up good if you can't replace them. Peek inside them to make sure the little inner cones don't get turned inside-out.

Now, about the sleeping arrangements. Could you have started breathing through your mouth a bit? Do you need to consider a chinstrap? What about humidity.... Seasons change and with it change humidity requirements. I don't know what your weather is doing on your side of the fish tank, but I have to adjust my humidity up a bit once I fire up the old furnaces.

Mostly, don't worry too much about this. This happens to all of us and like I said, it's just an opportunity to reevaluate everything and go again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I wear a chin strap (but again the head strap tends to slip off). I just washed the parts, but will do that again, letting it dry on its own. Seasons did change of course. I don't do well with the humidifier (keep it off, but the tank full, strangely that helps). Will try turning it on.

I react quite strongly to these changes. It's basically all or nothing: full of energy, zooming around or lethargic, fighting my way through the day, depending on how the night went. I wonder if I should change masks. The P10 is fantastic, but even after a clean, I feel I can't get enough air. On the other hand, this may be the machine too. Or me Smile

--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Philips Respironics Premium chin strap. It is the only one that I have found that does not come off during the night. I have tried 3 or 4 other chin straps and they all slide off during the night.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the same feeling from my P10. When I first put on the mask to go to sleep it felt as if I could not get enough air. I found myself taking deep breaths with my mouth. I Also had the same issue when I woke up during the night to go to the bathroom. I am going to try it without the ramp tonight to see if it makes a difference. It was my first night using the device, i'm sure it will take some getting used to.

One other thing, it seems to me that the mask is too tight, the strap does not allow much adjustment, any suggestions on making the strap larger?

I've only been here for one day, already learning a lot of useful things.

Keep up the good work,

Walt C

Post Reply Post Reply
If you feel like you aren't getting enough air you might try raising the pressure and avoiding the ramp. The lower pressures do at times make people feel like they aren't getting enough air.

In regards to the headgear on the P10 it should loosen if you separate the head straps from each other.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I spent some time readjusting the position of the mask while lying down (as opposed to sitting up). I read this suggestion in another post and it worked great. *But* the headgear really should be adjustable in a better way to ensure the mask stays in position. The P10's headgear is not supporting the position very well. Don't get me wrong. I love the mask, when it works Wink If the trouble persists, I'll change masks.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
Before you adjust the pressure, I suggest adjusting the EPR. Increase the exhale difference. For example, if the EPR is set to 1, set it to 2. I've had to do this with several masks. Each one is different even though they are the same type. For me, the P10 was one of the worse for feeling as if I was not getting enough air.

I think adjusting the treatment pressure because of a mask is not a good idea. If the smothering sensation was not there before and it is with a new mask, then the treatment pressure is not the problem. This is what lead me to look into the EPR.

Turn off the ramp, try adjusting the EPR, make sure the mask is seated correctly (had one mask that if it was not lined up right inside my nostril, I wasn't getting enough air, or felt like it at least), etc. Do all that before messing with the treatment pressure.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula,

Unfortunately there is no EPR possibility on my Breas. Nor can I adjust the ramp (which is fixed at 5 minutes, very unpleasant).

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
As an update: the P10 (in my case) somehow does not (or no longer) fits right. One of the two air passages in the mask always feels blocked (as in no air reaching the nostril). I adjusted the mask slightly, which helped, but then it sagged again during sleep. The result was that only one nostril got air.

I taped a bit rolled up tissue on the skin below the mask to give it extra support (holding it in the right position) and it works like a charm.

Probably others won't have the exact same issue, but just in case it's of use, I post a solution here.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.