Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows P10: regressing
RE: Nasal pillows P10: regressing
Sometimes the inside wall of the nasal pillow on the p10 sticks to the outside wall and causes what you describe. Clean it with a mild soap and water and blow dry it by using the machine, that usually clears it up for me. When that no longer works it is usually time to change the pillows. That is my experience ymmv of course.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad I found this thread because I have been regressing for the past couple of weeks for some reason. I had an adjustment period when I switched to the P10 about a year ago, but then everything was fine. Recently, though, I began to feel like I couldn't get enough air into my lungs. I would put the mask on and suddenly start breathing strongly and deeply. Maybe it amounts to the same thing as the smothering feeling. And it might be that I just started a new job and there's an overwhelming load of work to do.

My breathing would always settle down after about 15 minutes. By then, the machine would have reached the prescribed pressure, which is 13 for me.

Based on suggestions I read here, I decided to get rid of the ramping altogether and it made a big difference. Last night I turned on the auto-start, no ramp, and an EPR of 3. I had a little of the feeling that I needed to breathe deeply, but only for a minute or so. So I think I'll try without the auto-start tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, thanks for the advice as always.

Scott
Meet you in the land of nod
- Johnny Mercer
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2014, 02:59 AM)Visitor Wrote: ...I taped a bit rolled up tissue on the skin below the mask to give it extra support (holding it in the right position) and it works like a charm...

I may just have to try that. It seems like just getting the pressure right might not always be the 100% zero AHI fix. Pressure will keep your throat from collapsing (we hope) but often there are other things that are restricting your airway that xPAP might not address. Maybe that would prevent some of the residual events I am having, and get my 1.8 even lower.

For instance, I find that my airway is much more open if I just press the tip of my nose up slightly with my finger, a dramatic difference, in fact. I could just try to hold my nose like that all night, but it doesn't quite seem like that would be possible (people tell me my nose is way too far up in the air most of the time anyway). Probably don't want to walk around all day doing that with your finger either.

For that reason, I drape the hose so it sort of pulls my nose up, which seems to be better. But I have been toying with the idea of finding a way to get the P10 to do this more efficiently, so you have given me a great starting point (thx).

My experience with NP is that I feel like I am not getting enough air when the pillow size is too small. I went from small, to medium, and finally to large, and I do not get that "too little air" feeling now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Visitor,
I like your idea of taping tissue on skin below the mask for extra support. I am going to try that.
I've always felt like the P10 was being pulled down a bit, even after adjusting straps. If I supported it with my hand where the venting is, the leaks decreased.
Of course you can't sleep with your hand supporting your mask under your nose!
I also changed from extra small pillows to the small pillow which seemed to fit better.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read in another thread that some people have put O-rings under the nasal pillows to give it some support and had good results due to it. Just make sure you don't order the O rings from the same supplier who supplied NASA Smile

YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,769 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 485 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.