Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows and partial blockage
Nasal pillows and partial blockage
Some years ago (8-10) I had the type-1 sleep study but unfortunately it was inconclusive because, as long as I lie on my side, there were not many apnea events. According to the tech, the protocol says that if there are not enough events they can not recommend a CPAP. But he also said that toward the end of the night I rolled onto my back and then there were plenty of events. (This matches my wife's report that I snore when lying on my back.) But by then the night was almost gone and there was not enough time to bother waking me up and moving to the titration part of the test.

So the doctor says, do the tennis-ball under your shirt, or use those big U-shaped sleeping pillows. Neither worked. I could sleep just fine with the ball in my back (soft mattress) and the big pillow is too big for our bed.

Now years later, age 65, I am tired of still being tired all the time, or waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air. So I am doing lots of research so when I go in for another test I will know what to do, and can explain to the Dr what I need so he writes the prescription the right way, to get me the machine I think will work best for me (automatic, with heated humidity).

An ENT told me I have a 30% deviated septum. I can breathe through my nose but it is slightly blocked - worse if there is swelling from a cold, etc. But I found that if I push on the end of my nose, the nostrils open up and I can breathe much better. So I tried BreatheRite strips (the extra strong ones) and they help.

So I am thinking that a nasal pillow mask is the best choice for me, because the slight inward and upward pressure from the straps will accomplish about the same purpose as the BreatheRite. Does this sound reasonable?

I really do not want to use a full-face mask, or have surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows and partial blockage
Hi Sn00zeAlarm and welcome.

I don't know what the implications of the 30% would be. My septum is slightly bent but I use a Pilaro Q with out any problems.
I found that after a fairly short time I found that the CPAP therapy has opened up my nasal passages and made breathing easier.

But let's not put that cart before the horse. Have your sleep test and see where that takes you.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

David
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome SnOOzeAlarm,
Before I got my PAP machine, I used the BreathRite Strips and they worked well, so I came to the same conclusion as you and went with the nasal pillow mask.

At first I used the strips along with the pillow mask, but soon found out I really didn't need the strips. Believe me, the nasal pillows mask will keep your nasal passages open and clear out congestion too. I've had a cold for two weeks now, and can breath better at night than in the day time.

Keep us posted on the results of your next sleep test. It's good your are doing your research ahead of time. I didn't find this forum until after I started therapy, and had no idea as to what I was doing.
Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 11:11 PM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: Now years later, age 65, I am tired of still being tired all the time, or waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air. So I am doing lots of research so when I go in for another test I will know what to do, and can explain to the Dr what I need so he writes the prescription the right way, to get me the machine I think will work best for me (automatic, with heated humidity).

I have a deviated septum and allergies so depending on what's in the air and what side I sleep on, without the machine airflow ranges from "not enough" to "none".

However with a humidified auto CPAP machine and a nasal pillow mask, I breathe beautifully at night and sleep like a rock.

I think you're right on the money and wouldn't waste anymore time being tired.

The air pressure through the nasal pillow mask actually inflates your nose a little and the air usually blows by the obstruction. (at least mine does)

Also once you get your pressure set right, you won't need the strips. They're as useful as a lucky rabbits foot at a gunfight, once the machine is keeping your airway open. It's an entirely different class of airflow. The best thing I can compare it to is "Better than Afrin with no rebound"
Post Reply Post Reply
SA-

I agree with the above posters, nasal pillows are the way to go.

If you have trouble with other pillows at least give the Nuance a try.

I've got a very deviated septum, with one nostril close to blocked. I have had some difficulty getting nasal pillows to seal properly, or if I get them sealed properly they can hurt the side that's nearly blocked.

The best pillows I've found so far are the Nuance pillows, with a gel ring around the outside of the nostril that does the sealing, with very little of the pillows actually entering the nostril.

I use the large pillows because it seals better (and I get better air flow through the pillows) rather than the Med that I would use with other pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever side I am on, that side of my nose gets jammed up. When I roll over to the other side, the blockage moves to the other side. I have learned to time it when I lay on the opposite side and I hit that small window when both sides of my nose are passing air, I lay on my back. That lasts for awhile. My mask allows me to breath through my mouth but I find that one nostril breathing through the large pillows does work for awhile. That is until the machine ramps up the pressure and knocks the blocked side pillow out. Air leak = wake up. I think I will eventually have to go to a full face mask.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Blocked nose on whatever side you are laying on is common, even to those not using CPAP. Have you tried using a nasal rinse prior to going to bed, Alan? I use the Ayr bottle with a pre-packaged solution. Now that the brambles are blooming, I'm gonna need to do that each night for a while!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2015, 08:03 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Blocked nose on whatever side you are laying on is common, even to those not using CPAP. Have you tried using a nasal rinse prior to going to bed, Alan? I use the Ayr bottle with a pre-packaged solution. Now that the brambles are blooming, I'm gonna need to do that each night for a while!

I have not. Sounds messy?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you do it over a sink. Smile

I used a nasal rinse a few years ago when I had a bad reaction to some nearby forest fires. The first couple times you do it, it feels like you are going to drown. The trick is in keeping your thoat closed but your nose and mouth open so that the water you are squirting up your nose has a place to come out. And it is not just a spray - I am talking half a cup of water at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
ick.. sounds like fun

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 863 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.