Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows harder to use?
Nasal pillows harder to use?
I've tried using a nasal pillow mask a couple of times, but I find them much more difficult than full face masks, or nasal masks.   The pressure against exhalation seems much much higher than it does with other masks, even with the machine set to the correct mask. Is this normal?  These masks seem much more comfortable to wear during the night, but for me, anyway, breathing seems much more difficult.  Comments?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows harder to use?
Actually, I find that nasal pillows are the least intrusive and work better for me. I don't notice the exhalation effort at all when I use mine. Most of the time I hardly even realized I was wearing a CPAP mask. However, the deal breaker is the irritation I get when using this mask. I have used the Lasinoh cream and it doesn't seem to do much good. So I now use my N20 nasal mask exclusively and get pretty much the same therapy and treatment.

It's quite possible you may need to further adjust your comfort settings to eliminate this problem. I'm not knowledgeable enough to suggest any changes, but I would start there.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Normally pillow masks require 1cm or 2cm less pressure than a full face mask to get the same results.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is your machine set to "pillow" type of mask in the settings?   Have you considered adjusting the EPR setting?  Have you considered using APAP mode instead of CPAP, with a lower base pressure (assuming your machine is an Autoset, not entirely clear in your profile)?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 10:35 AM)upsman Wrote: Actually, I find that nasal pillows are the least intrusive and work better for me. I don't notice the exhalation effort at all when I use mine. Most of the time I hardly even realized I was wearing a CPAP mask. However, the deal breaker is the irritation I get when using this mask. I have used the Lasinoh cream and it doesn't seem to do much good. So I now use my N20 nasal mask exclusively and get pretty much the same therapy and treatment.

It's quite possible you may need to further adjust your comfort settings to eliminate this problem. I'm not knowledgeable enough to suggest any changes, but I would start there.

The Brevida pillows mask is made of soft gel and should not cause nasal irritation.  Give that a try.  I also found that it is also easier to exhale with this mask than the P10s.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 11:46 AM)sonicboom Wrote: The Brevida pillows mask is made of soft gel and should not cause nasal irritation.  Give that a try.  I also found that it is also easier to exhale with this mask than the P10s.

Interesting. For me there are several issues, pro and con, with pillows over regular nasal and full face cushions.

• Inspiratory flow restriction reduction in nostrils. With pillows, my nostrils (which normally collapse if I breathe in to hard) get nicely splinted open with PAP. That makes it way easier to breathe in. Same goes for congestion. Pillows power through congestion better for me than nasal cushions and full face masks.

• Expiratory flow restriction - small nasal pillows feel harder to breath out of to me. The Brevida has cones with small openings, and can, at times, feel harder to breathe out of than it should.

• Elasticity - the nasal pillows can sometimes feel like a pile driver to me. The EPR seemed harsher with pillows than with nasal and FF masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
when I was using apap and nasal pillows I found it difficult to intolerable when exhaling against pressure above 13cm. only ever used airfit p10 so don't know how it compares to other types of masks. however, epr made exhaling at higher pressures (any pressure actually) much easier. mildly sore nose quit being sore after after the first week or two. I've never noticed any kind of mask movement coming from machine pulsing.

mouth and lip leaks are common and difficult to tame, but it can be done. unfortunately, none of the ffm's they tried on me during my in lab titration would seal against my beard so options for me are limited.

allanri, did you have the same complaint with each of the different size pillows? also, if too tight (pillows slightly compressed) or not aligned just right, impedance may increase.

otherwise, if ffm & nasal masks work better for you, stick with those.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.  

Sheepless, I have tried the small and medium sized pillows for my AirFit P10 mask; both seem restrictive when exhaling. 

SteveMac, yes, my machine is set to "pillows"; I've tried with EPR on and off, and I can't actually detect any noticeable difference.   I haven't tried APAP yet; I'm still trying get my pressures to decent levels (still have a nightly AHI of 10 or so) before I start tweaking things. 

Walla Walla, does that mean one should lower the pressure when using pillows?  Doesn't the machine's pillows setting take all that into account?
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='269747' dateline='1535142395']
Walla Walla, does that mean one should lower the pressure when using pillows?  Doesn't the machine's pillows setting take all that into account?
[/quote]

Just going by what I've experienced. Whenever I have switched between the two types of masks I've had to make a pressure adjustment. I'm probably wrong but I think the mask setting has more to do with leak reporting and tidal volume reporting.

I'm sure someone will correct me though. Big Grin
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had some troubles with pillows until I found that going a size larger improved the fit. Your fixed pressure of 10 shouldn't be an issue. It could simply be the architecture of your nose and face.

The thing is, most people manage pillows fine, but there is a large percentage who never get used to them. Consider a nasal mask then. Still lightweight, still not quite an iguana on your face, but maybe more workable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,206 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 504 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 460 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 987 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 545 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 968 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 595 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.