Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows leaking when on side
Nasal pillows leaking when on side
Its been 5 nights now - still not sleeping much.
One of my problems is that I like to sleep on my side and the pillows leak by when I'm on my side.
I tried the lanolin, but still leaking.
I have to really tighten the mask to get a half decent seal.
I'm also using a chin strap, so it get really frustrating when it leaks.
Seems like I lose a lot of sleep time fighting with all the velcro.
I go back to the therapist Wed. - thinking of asking to try a full face mask instead even if I have to pay for it myself. If I go full face, I'd like to try the Swift - I assume it will fit the tubing on my Respironics System one machine. Do I need a prescription for a mask?
Thanks again!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows leaking when on side
(06-25-2012, 04:34 PM)johns019 Wrote: ... One of my problems is that I like to sleep on my side and the pillows leak by when I'm on my side. I tried the lanolin, but still leaking. I have to really tighten the mask to get a half decent seal. I'm also using a chin strap, so it get really frustrating when it leaks. Seems like I lose a lot of sleep time fighting with all the velcro.
I go back to the therapist Wed. - thinking of asking to try a full face mask instead even if I have to pay for it myself. If I go full face, I'd like to try the Swift - I assume it will fit the tubing on my Respironics System one machine. Do I need a prescription for a mask?

I have the same problem with nasal pillow masks and side sleeping. I've used four different nasal pillow masks and have finally just about given up.

I tried a Flex-Fit 407 (regular nasal mask) that I got for free from the guy on Craigslist who I bought my machine from. It leaked badly because the forehead support held the cushion away from the bridge of my nose. Eventually I got a Mirage Vista (because I hate anything in front of my eyes), and it is working reasonably well.

But if you're a mouth breather, then a full-face mask sounds like a better idea.

Yes, you need a prescription for a mask, although not if all you are buying is parts. The online suppliers will happily accept it faxed to them. When I bought my Mirage Vista from Supplier #1 I scanned my prescription to PDF and then e-mailed it to them, beccause I don't have a fax machine.

Don't worry about the tubing - I've never heard of a mask that wouldn't fit the hose. But do ask about what resistance setting you should use on your machine for whatever mask you get.

Buying masks is best if you can do it face to face with a good DME because fitting is an issue. But I had to go to online suppliers because none of the various DMEs in my city have more than half a dozen masks in stock.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your help - I'm going to give it a shot without the chin strap tonight.
My sleep study facility only deals with Respironics - that's why I ask about the prescription - seems that many people like the Swift Quatro.
If they won't give me the prescription, maybe I'll ask my regular Dr to write one, but I probably can't buy online due to not knowing what size to get.
Post Reply Post Reply
Johns, what mask do you have? Where does the hose go? I use nasal pillows because I sleep on my side. I never have an issue with leaking except when on my back.

Depending on the mask, you may have better luck taking the hose and routing it up, between your eyes, to the top of your head.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Its the Respironics GoLife - there is a clip on the hose which I've been clipping to the top on my chinstrap.
I am going to have to figure out something (maybe velcro) to attach the hose to the top of my headboard to get it out of the way.
My headboard is round so I can't just lay it on top - it would fall down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2012, 05:59 PM)johns019 Wrote: Thanks for your help - I'm going to give it a shot without the chin strap tonight.
My sleep study facility only deals with Respironics - that's why I ask about the prescription - seems that many people like the Swift Quatro.
If they won't give me the prescription, maybe I'll ask my regular Dr to write one, but I probably can't buy online due to not knowing what size to get.

My doc originally sent my prescription to her favorite DME. Unfortunately, while their service was acceptable, they were located an hour away, and every bit of it miserable city traffic. I tried to get the DME to transfer my prescription to another DME that was closer, but they refused. Eventually I just went to my doctor's office. I arrived without an appointment or anything. I just asked at the front desk if they could send my prescription to the second DME. The front desk ushered me in to see a nice fellow who understood immediately that I wanted to take charge of things myself. He was thrilled to fax the prescription to the new DME, and also made me a printout of it and the results from my sleep study so that I wouldn't have any problems in the future.

Getting my own copy of the prescription was suggested by others here, and it was excellent advice. Put that at the top of your to-do list.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2012, 06:17 PM)johns019 Wrote: Its the Respironics GoLife - there is a clip on the hose which I've been clipping to the top on my chinstrap. I am going to have to figure out something (maybe velcro) to attach the hose to the top of my headboard to get it out of the way. My headboard is round so I can't just lay it on top - it would fall down.

They make supports that clamp onto the headboard and hold the hose up overhead. Not very expensive. Check out the suppliers list here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried clipping the hose to your shirt?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2012, 06:17 PM)johns019 Wrote: Its the Respironics GoLife - there is a clip on the hose which I've been clipping to the top on my chinstrap.
I am going to have to figure out something (maybe velcro) to attach the hose to the top of my headboard to get it out of the way.
My headboard is round so I can't just lay it on top - it would fall down.

Think of all the amazing things you can do with a wire coat hanger, a pair of cutters and a bit of ingenuity!

I do know your pain on this though. I have the Resmed, whateveritis LT (sorry, I am really tired today!) and if I lay on my side I always get leaks. Of course since that is accompanied by extreme pain after 10 minutes due to needing a new hip, well, let's just say sleep is elusive afterwards!

"Just sleep with this machine, you'll be fine".....yeah...okay! LOL!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2012, 05:59 PM)johns019 Wrote: Thanks for your help - I'm going to give it a shot without the chin strap tonight.

I'm fairly new ,but I found that if you experiment with the different sizes you may find the size you didn't think would work is best. Large fit me perfect, but when I tried medium there was a lot less leak
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 370 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 405 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.