Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows leaking when on side
RE: Nasal pillows leaking when on side
(08-11-2012, 09:19 PM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: I too use the ResMed Swift FX, and it it much better than the Optilife 2 that I used before. If I have a leak at all a quick pull away from my nose and a re-seat, the leak is gone!. I never use the shirt clip as it doesn't move with your head, neck and body. It's too restrictive. My secret is to pass most of the hose under my armpit below my chest. There ends up being a pile of hose available to move with me when I roll over from side to side or on my back. No tugging. No fighting the hose. It works!

Routing the nasal pillow hose down and under works the best for me as well. It also has helped to keep my mouth closed as the hose is over top of it - I had little success with the chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows leaking when on side
(08-12-2012, 12:11 AM)vsheline Wrote: Perhaps I am a slow breather (I usually take less than 15 breaths per minute when trying to fall asleep) but at the sleep study it seemed as if I had hardly started to breath in, when suddenly the Respironics machine would decide the inhale period was over, and the pressure would drop to help me exhale, so it felt like I was fighting the machine to finish every inhallation.

As I understand it, it's the Bi-Flex feature that causes this problem. The slower you inhale, the worse it gets. Set Bi-Flex to zero and the problem goes away. Check the clinician's manual for an explanation. As I recall, once you turn the Bi-Flex off you can adjust the delay time between exhale and inhale, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 403 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.