Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows more effective for flow limitation?
Nasal pillows more effective for flow limitation?
Are nasal pillows more effective for flow limitations cause by nasal congestion or will it have the same effectiveness as a full face mass when there is nasal congestion or even just in general to keep the nasal airway more open?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows more effective for flow limitation?
I don't know specifically about flow limitations, but I do think that nasal pillows give me better breathing through my nose vs regular nasal mask (like the Wisp). However I have had some success using Breathe Right strips under my Wisp before. You can also get these silicone nasal dilators that insert into your nose and prop it open. Some people seem to find them helpful, but the few times I tried them it was just weird. Maybe it would be okay after getting used to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response! I tried breathe right strips as well but for some reason they don't work as well for me. Maybe I'm placing them incorrectly.

Anybody else have any feedback regarding the flow limitations?
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't use the nasal strips either. I think nasal pillows are about as good as it gets for promoting nasal breathing and reducing flow limitation from the nasopharynx region. If you have congestion, then it will probably show up as flow limits, and while you can breath around your nose with a full face mask, you only have one choice with the nasal pillows. I sometimes have intractable nasal congestion, and it takes a lot of patience waiting for it to pass. For some reason, my nose will block up on exhale more than inhale.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome feedback sleeprider!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 04:46 PM)Michaely6 Wrote: Awesome feedback sleeprider!

I't just my life.  It's not always clear sailing (reference to avatar).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 05:40 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 04:46 PM)Michaely6 Wrote: Awesome feedback sleeprider!

I't just my life.  It's not always clear sailing (reference to avatar).

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
If one is using nasal pillows or a nasal mask, and one is stuffed up, what other orifice might help to restore breathing?  Ans: the mouth.  

What if one has apnea, though?

A full face mask used by a person with a stuffy nose will still have the mouth getting the same tmt pressure.  If the problem is closure or restriction due to position, and nothing else, then no mask will work, except that more pressure will possibly help...if it doesn't blow the mask askew.

What I mean in my response is that, if the user has only a nasal administration of the tmt, he/she will not have good results when the occluded nasal passages inhibit the tmt. Stuffy nostrils are much like a tucked chin that closes off the trachea or the pharynges.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is Tmt?
Post Reply Post Reply
"treatment"  (Must not assume the reader knows my abbreviations....must not assume my reader knows my abbreviations...must not assume my reader knows my abbreviations...)

Sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 2 109 1 hour ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI vs. low Flow Limitation apneakid 13 934 Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 829 04-19-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 102 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 428 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 333 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 297 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.