Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows more effective for flow limitation?
RE: Nasal pillows more effective for flow limitation?
Hahahaha thanks for the clarification!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 04:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I can't use the nasal strips either.  I think nasal pillows are about as good as it gets for promoting nasal breathing and reducing flow limitation from the nasopharynx region.  If you have congestion, then it will probably show up as flow limits, and while you can breath around your nose with a full face mask, you only have one choice with the nasal pillows.  I sometimes have intractable nasal congestion, and it takes a lot of patience waiting for it to pass.  For some reason, my nose will block up on exhale more than inhale.

The reason for that is that on exhale your blood pressure is higher then on inhale so more blood is forced through blood vessels, hence the soft tissue swells. Also same thing happens when you lay down, more blood goes to your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
What nasal pillow mask is considered the most effective?
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on the person because each face is different so different masks work better for different people. One person can love a mask that someone else hates.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2019, 05:01 AM)jacksonm6 Wrote: What nasal pillow mask is considered the most effective?

The one that works for you.

Many here are fans of the P10
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow Limitations has a very specific use with regard to our Apnea treatment, and typically not addressed by Pillows, Nasal Masks and FF masks.

Having said that, using Nasal Pillows has absolutely made a difference in my ability to breathe.

I had a Septoplasty / T. Reduction about a year ago and while I made a huge difference in my ability to breath my nasal breathing is not fully restored. Using Nasal Pillows I am able to breathe through my nose 100%, this simply doesn't happen when using a nasal mask. Breathing is constrained. 

I actually breathe easier with CPAP than without.

I attribute this to Nasal Pillows inflating the nasal passages in a way that masks can't.

With a mask their is pressure both within the nasal passages and an almost equal pressure pushing on the outside of the nose. Pillows simply don't have that, nor pressure on the bridge of the nose from the mask itself.

For context:
I have never been able to tolerate a FF mask.
Used a ResMed N20 Nasal Mask.
Loved ResMed P10 Pillows
Tried a ResMed n30i, but didn't feel the flow was as good.
Recently switched to ResMed p30i, and feel the air flow is even better than the p10s.
Post Reply Post Reply
When switching from a nasal pillows to full face I need to raise pressure by about 2 to solve the flow limitations, so yes, nasal pillows are much more effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2019, 09:47 PM)Michaely6 Wrote: What is Tmt?

Just came across this thread. Don’t feel bad about not knowing what Tmt was. I thought he was referring to teenage mutant turtles. Laugh-a-lot
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 0 13 19 minutes ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 5 177 Yesterday, 08:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Low AHI vs. low Flow Limitation apneakid 13 960 04-22-2024, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 839 04-19-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 107 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 447 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 347 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.