Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Nasal pillows sizes and shapes
In the two months since I started CPAP therapy I have used mostly nasal pillow masks - Opus 360, Swift FX, Swift LT - and I have seen other nasal pillow masks at the DME. I have constant leaks and really poor results. (A Mirage Vista is on the way and should be here Friday.) The main problem with the nasal pillows is that they were not designed for my nostrils. All of the masks I have seen have pillows that look like / \. My nostrils are | |. Plus, the pillows have too much space between the nostrils. No wonder I have lots of leaks when the pillows are not designed for my nose.

I would suggest that instead of making small, medium and large the manufacturers should make lots more configurations available.
06-13-2012 10:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ScottBerglin Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics System One Auto A-Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 14

Other Comments: APAP since 8/2/2010, AHI average/yr = 2.10

RE: Nasal pillows sizes and shapes
I completely agree with you. Instead of just capping off the nostrils I think they should be more tapered and insert into the nostril just slightly. I think that would stop leaking without being uncomfortable.

--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
06-14-2012 11:59 AM
BabyDoc Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with Climateline Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 -16.0 CM
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I think if nasal pillows fit inside your nose, they wouldn't be pillows. They would be a source of constant irritation. It took me a while to figure out that the more I pushed the pillows into my nostrils by tightening the straps, the more the pillows leaked. I think pillows are really designed to just cap off the nostrils without doing damage to the nasal cartilage or nasal mucosa. On the other hand, the looser the straps on the pillows were, the more that the pillows shifted and leaked, when I roll my body from side to side. My solution has been the chin strap. It surrounds my face and covers a portion of the nasal pillow straps, keeping them in place as well as my mouth. My median leak now is 0.0.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2012 12:45 PM by BabyDoc.)
06-14-2012 12:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ScottBerglin Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics System One Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 14

Other Comments: APAP since 8/2/2010, AHI average/yr = 2.10

You may be right about the constant irriation from deeper fitting "pillows". My experience of leaking with too much or too little pressure is the same as yours. Luckily, my FX pillows work fine in that mid-range of mask-tightness. I get very little leaking with the Swift FX.

--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
06-14-2012 12:54 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

The ComfortLite2 comes with a variety of different nasal cushions and pillows of different sizes. The pillows have two bendable metal strips. By bending the strips I can change the angles they make with my face and with each other. This just might be the type of adjustability you're looking for.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-14-2012 07:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

(06-14-2012 07:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  The ComfortLite2 comes with a variety of different nasal cushions and pillows of different sizes. The pillows have two bendable metal strips. By bending the strips I can change the angles they make with my face and with each other. This just might be the type of adjustability you're looking for.

That's good to keep in mind. However, my Mirage Vista arrived just today, so that is what I am going to try next. Tonight will be the first test. Cross your fingers for me. Okay
06-14-2012 09:38 PM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

If you're still having problems with leakage, you may want to check out the Respironics Optilife headgear and nasal pillow system. I've been using it for several years without any leakage issues.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-14-2012 10:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
BabyDoc Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with Climateline Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 -16.0 CM

Other Comments:

(06-14-2012 10:41 PM)bobg1946 Wrote:  If you're still having problems with leakage, you may want to check out the Respironics Optilife headgear and nasal pillow system. I've been using it for several years without any leakage issues.

As I read all of these comments, I am amazed that everyone swears by a certain mask or pillow. Others can swear at the same product. It goes to show you that one size can't fit all, and why there is need for so many different models out there for us to try before finding our perfect mask/pillows.

I am still looking for perfection, although I am a bit closer now with my Swift FX pillows than I was with the Mirage FX nasal mask. The only problem I have with reading somebody's comment that he has found HIS perfect mask, I want to try that mask. That gets, soo expensive, fast!
06-15-2012 11:18 AM
bostonian Offline

New Members

Machine: IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine with SmartFlex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: IntelliPAP Integrated Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 9-14
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

I'm new to the board and I like the swift fx too. I have an opus 360 that I like as well and just purchased the new aloha which I am using now and will probably stay with , but then again, I said that two masks ago.
06-15-2012 04:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 208 12-02-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 499 10-26-2016 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 741 10-24-2016 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 21 1,775 10-18-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Opus 360 Nasal Pillows holden4th 1 202 09-29-2016 05:33 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  ResMed Airfit P10 Pillows HL649 6 829 09-20-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Hope2sleep
  [CPAP] Nasal swelling while using pillows Wellington 5 309 09-14-2016 07:47 PM
Last Post: Wellington