Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows sizes and shapes
Nasal pillows sizes and shapes
In the two months since I started CPAP therapy I have used mostly nasal pillow masks - Opus 360, Swift FX, Swift LT - and I have seen other nasal pillow masks at the DME. I have constant leaks and really poor results. (A Mirage Vista is on the way and should be here Friday.) The main problem with the nasal pillows is that they were not designed for my nostrils. All of the masks I have seen have pillows that look like / \. My nostrils are | |. Plus, the pillows have too much space between the nostrils. No wonder I have lots of leaks when the pillows are not designed for my nose.

I would suggest that instead of making small, medium and large the manufacturers should make lots more configurations available.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillows sizes and shapes
I completely agree with you. Instead of just capping off the nostrils I think they should be more tapered and insert into the nostril just slightly. I think that would stop leaking without being uncomfortable.
--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if nasal pillows fit inside your nose, they wouldn't be pillows. They would be a source of constant irritation. It took me a while to figure out that the more I pushed the pillows into my nostrils by tightening the straps, the more the pillows leaked. I think pillows are really designed to just cap off the nostrils without doing damage to the nasal cartilage or nasal mucosa. On the other hand, the looser the straps on the pillows were, the more that the pillows shifted and leaked, when I roll my body from side to side. My solution has been the chin strap. It surrounds my face and covers a portion of the nasal pillow straps, keeping them in place as well as my mouth. My median leak now is 0.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be right about the constant irriation from deeper fitting "pillows". My experience of leaking with too much or too little pressure is the same as yours. Luckily, my FX pillows work fine in that mid-range of mask-tightness. I get very little leaking with the Swift FX.
--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
Post Reply Post Reply
The ComfortLite2 comes with a variety of different nasal cushions and pillows of different sizes. The pillows have two bendable metal strips. By bending the strips I can change the angles they make with my face and with each other. This just might be the type of adjustability you're looking for.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 07:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The ComfortLite2 comes with a variety of different nasal cushions and pillows of different sizes. The pillows have two bendable metal strips. By bending the strips I can change the angles they make with my face and with each other. This just might be the type of adjustability you're looking for.

That's good to keep in mind. However, my Mirage Vista arrived just today, so that is what I am going to try next. Tonight will be the first test. Cross your fingers for me. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're still having problems with leakage, you may want to check out the Respironics Optilife headgear and nasal pillow system. I've been using it for several years without any leakage issues.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 10:41 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: If you're still having problems with leakage, you may want to check out the Respironics Optilife headgear and nasal pillow system. I've been using it for several years without any leakage issues.

As I read all of these comments, I am amazed that everyone swears by a certain mask or pillow. Others can swear at the same product. It goes to show you that one size can't fit all, and why there is need for so many different models out there for us to try before finding our perfect mask/pillows.

I am still looking for perfection, although I am a bit closer now with my Swift FX pillows than I was with the Mirage FX nasal mask. The only problem I have with reading somebody's comment that he has found HIS perfect mask, I want to try that mask. That gets, soo expensive, fast!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to the board and I like the swift fx too. I have an opus 360 that I like as well and just purchased the new aloha which I am using now and will probably stay with , but then again, I said that two masks ago.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.