Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal pillows with good woman's headgear fit
RE: Nasal pillows with good woman's headgear fit
(10-24-2021, 10:21 PM)Doublereeder2 Wrote: The Dreamwear line of masks (pillows, cushion, full face) come with a small frame that fits well for me. The strap rides quite low on my head and only slips up when I’m on my back (I’m a side sleeper).

Thanks.  The pictures of those do look like the back strap rides a lot lower than the current mask (my wife does sleep on her back, but that headgear would probably at least be an improvement).
Post Reply Post Reply
My very first mask, an F10, I cut apart the back of the headgear, lapped the two ends atop each other, and used a big safety pin to pin them back together. The whole thing fit much better that way!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the P10 "for her" headgear. It splits into 2 straps. I pull those 2 straps in opposite directions to open it up like a headband. Then I pull that headband over my head down around the circumference of my neck, and then pull the front part back up to just above my forehead (just like how we wore headbands in the 80s & 90s). My hair is between the split in the 2 straps, which makes it so the headband doesn't slip around. If my hair is being slippery, I'll put either all of it or some of it into a high ponytail, and the headband for sure can't slip over that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 01:21 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I use the P10 "for her" headgear.  It splits into 2 straps. I pull those 2 straps in opposite directions to open it up like a headband. Then I pull that headband over my head down around the circumference of my neck, and then pull the front part back up to just above my forehead (just like how we wore headbands in the 80s & 90s).  My hair is between the split in the 2 straps, which makes it so the headband doesn't slip around.  If my hair is being slippery, I'll put either all of it or some of it into a high ponytail, and the headband for sure can't slip over that.

Thanks.  This is one of the masks that looked promising, so this input is very useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2021, 09:31 PM)SleeplessInVirginia Wrote: That mask looks interesting.  But the consumables look very expensive.  With regular nasal pillows, and replacing the headgear and nose piece when they wear out, the total cost averages about $100 per year.  For the Bleep, it looks like the total cost is more on the order of $750-$800 per year.  We're kinda hoping we can find a regular mask that works and is comfortable to avoid that budget hit if it isn't necessary.

I see. I get mine free with insurance, but if you are out of pocket the Bleep system is a bit pricey.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Airfit P10 pillows and headgear. My head is also small but the For Her fits well. Early on I had a problem with the straps stretching and loosening. However, I found that after washing in pretty warm water they would tighten right back up. (Resmed says wash in 86 degree water.) I wash once a week which seems to be often enough to keep them clean and tightened back to their normal size. 

When I first started with the P10 headgear I did feel like the bottom strap was too loose and and would slip off. However, I never woke up with it off my head. Loose, maybe, but still on my head. Looking back, I think it felt like it would slip off when it was in the more tightened stage (when new or freshly washed) and like it fit better and didn't slip once it started loosening up a bit. I got used to it after a couple of weeks and it was no longer an issue. 

However, I recently got new P10 headgear which is a little different. It has a "buckle" for adjusting the tension. I haven't tried adjusting with the buckle yet. I'm going to use as is a few more nights first since the fit feels a little different. Then I'll try adjusting if I need to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2021, 08:08 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: Actually the Bleep stays on quite well as long as you prep your skin with witch hazel before you put the DreamPorts on.  And there are no straps on your head or face - wonderful!

+1 for the DreamPorts. Cost is not important to me as much as comfort and being able to get wonderful sleep. I’d pay any price for that. I buy my ports on Amazon and typically get a month supply for less than $30 and the Dreamway is less than $40 which I plan to replace every 90 days or so. I hit a sale at the DME I used initially and got the DreamPorts for $12.50 with free shipping. Also, I recently learned that Medicare and insurance companies are now covering Bleep.

Having been through 9 masks (F20, AirTouch F20, F30, N30, P10, N30i, P30i, Brevida and Evora) previously I was thrilled beyond words when I found great success with Bleep. There is no leaking, no headgear and no strap marks. Also, I bought Bleep through a DME who offered a 14-day money back guarantee which I obviously didn’t need. There was a learning curve with the DreamPorts and after 3-4 days placing the DreamPorts was a breeze. I have never slept better in years thus very, very happy with my decision.

When I take an afternoon snooze I will use the Brevida or Evora because they are quite comfortable and I typically nap on my back for about an hour 2-3 times a week.

Wishing the OP success! 

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2021, 11:45 PM)mapster Wrote: I use the Airfit P10 pillows and headgear. My head is also small but the For Her fits well. Early on I had a problem with the straps stretching and loosening. However, I found that after washing in pretty warm water they would tighten right back up. (Resmed says wash in 86 degree water.) I wash once a week which seems to be often enough to keep them clean and tightened back to their normal size. 

When I first started with the P10 headgear I did feel like the bottom strap was too loose and and would slip off. However, I never woke up with it off my head. Loose, maybe, but still on my head. Looking back, I think it felt like it would slip off when it was in the more tightened stage (when new or freshly washed) and like it fit better and didn't slip once it started loosening up a bit. I got used to it after a couple of weeks and it was no longer an issue. 

However, I recently got new P10 headgear which is a little different. It has a "buckle" for adjusting the tension. I haven't tried adjusting with the buckle yet. I'm going to use as is a few more nights first since the fit feels a little different. Then I'll try adjusting if I need to.

Thanks for all the great input on the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(11-08-2021, 12:14 PM)YipeekiOH Wrote: +1 for the DreamPorts. Cost is not important to me as much as comfort and being able to get wonderful sleep. I’d pay any price for that. I buy my ports on Amazon and typically get a month supply for less than $30 and the Dreamway is less than $40 which I plan to replace every 90 days or so. I hit a sale at the DME I used initially and got the DreamPorts for $12.50 with free shipping. Also, I recently learned that Medicare and insurance companies are now covering Bleep.

When I take an afternoon snooze I will use the Brevida or Evora because they are quite comfortable and I typically nap on my back for about an hour 2-3 times a week.

If cost was no object the DreamPorts sound good.  We're just paying out of pocket because the requirements and limitations for getting CPAP stuff covered by Medicare or our supplementary insurance make it impractical where we're located, and the frustration of dealing with the runarounds and hoop jumping aren't good for our blood pressure.

The Brevida and Evora look like possible candidates.  Thanks for the input on those.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been happier with the Dreamwear mask with nasal cushions (silicone pillow mask) than any other conventional nasal pillow mask. I've also starting using Bleep. In the beginning, I struggled a little to get the right prep and tape placement to avoid leaks and coming loose in the middle of the night. I also lowered the humidification level. Practice makes perfect and it has been my most leak-free experience. I also love waking up without stripes on my cheeks.  On evenings when I'm really tired and don't want to fuss with it, I fall back on using the Dreamwear mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 4 21 4 minutes ago
Last Post: erouting
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,818 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 191 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 138 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,099 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 785 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 375 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.