Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal surgery to improve CPAP.
Nasal surgery to improve CPAP.
I am recovering from recent surgery to correct a deviated septum and enlarged nasal turbinates. The surgery went well. I had splints in my nose for 6 days (now removed). Nose is still tender and a little swollen. I have been able to resume using my CPAP ASV machine and now can breathe a bit better than prior to the surgery. I expect to see considerable improvement over the next month so the surgery should be worth it. I consulted an ENT on the advise of my new Sleep Doc. She was concerned that I needed to use Afrin in order to get through a night of CPAP. I hope this works since the surgery was an ordeal. Anyone out there with experience with this?

Rich B
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal surgery to improve CPAP.
I've had four surgeries over the last 25 years to remove polyps from my nasal passages. While this isn't the same surgery you had, it's similar. On my ENT's advice I now use a NeilMed nasal rinse every morning, and Nasonex every night at bedtime. (I learned the hard way that you do not want to use the spray after flushing your sinuses with the rinse.)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the same surgery about 10 years ago.
Before that I wasn´t able to sleep longer than 4 hours without spraying my nose.

The biggest improvement came immediately after they removed the splints.
The Nose was still swollen so there was aditional improvement during the following 5 or 6 days after the surgery.
Since then nothing has changed.
If your nose isn´t swollen now, why should there be any further improvement during the next month?

Herman
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 07:38 AM)HermannTheGerman Wrote: I have had the same surgery about 10 years ago.
Before that I wasn´t able to sleep longer than 4 hours without spraying my nose.

The biggest improvement came immediately after they removed the splints.
The Nose was still swollen so there was aditional improvement during the following 5 or 6 days after the surgery.
Since then nothing has changed.
If your nose isn´t swollen now, why should there be any further improvement during the next month?

Herman

My septum is still swollen. I still have dissolvable stitches in my septum. Turbinates are still a bit swollen. Yet, I am continuing to improve. Now breathing better at night then prior to surgery.

Rich B
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rich,
Past April had a deviated septum repaired, turbinates shaved down, septoplasty, and a permanent splint and strut implanted. My ENT says it takes about a year to fully heal. Prior to the procedures, both nostrils would collapse on inhalation. I was a mouth breather for 60 years. I hated cpap therapy so much I put the whole set up in the closet for months. Three sleep docs couldn't figure out why my cpap therapy wasn't effective. My ENT did so during the first exam. Bottom line is that although the healing has taken time, it was well worth it! Now I couldn't be happier with my Dreamstation & P10. My numbers are good to boot.
Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2016, 11:43 PM)2thepoint Wrote: Hi Rich,
Past April had a deviated septum repaired, turbinates shaved down, septoplasty, and a permanent splint and strut implanted. My ENT says it takes about a year to fully heal. Prior to the procedures, both nostrils would collapse on inhalation. I was a mouth breather for 60 years. I hated cpap therapy so much I put the whole set up in the closet for months. Three sleep docs couldn't figure out why my cpap therapy wasn't effective. My ENT did so during the first exam. Bottom line is that although the healing has taken time, it was well worth it! Now I couldn't be happier with my Dreamstation & P10. My numbers are good to boot.
Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I finally got through a night with at least one nostril open. I think I might need a larger nasal mask. The one I have puts pressure on my nostrils. I have a lot of reading to do.

RichB

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,225 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.