Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal vs FFM
Nasal vs FFM
When I switched from a FFM to a Dream wear nasal mask my AHI went down from usually around 1-3 to below .5 - zero consistently. I wondered if the mask was recording
episodes correctly. I tried the FFM last night just for a change and my AHI was 3.7 . This is the first time in a year my AHI was over .5 . Now I am wondering if The nasal mask is just
perfect for me, or is it not recording right. I felt a little more rested this morning even with higher AHI. I am going to keep using FFM all week to see if anything changes. The dream wear is great (less intrusive) but if it's giving me false #'s , then it's gotta go.

Anyone else have their numbers magically improve when switching to the dream wear?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal vs FFM
Are you experiencing a lot of leaks with the dreamware mask than with the full face?

A high leak rate can compromise the machines ability to detect events and in turn affect AHI.

Check SleepyHead and compare your leak rates between the masks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The AHI is recorded by the machine, not the mask. However you do need to set the machine appropriately for the type of mask - this is done in the clinical settings menu (P15 of the clinician's guide) or the user menu (P7 of the user's manual).

A number of members have reported small changes in performance between nasal pillows and FFM, usually with the pillows giving a better performance. You may also need to adjust the pressure slightly to optimise the therapy - FFM may require a slightly higher pressure than the pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very low leakage with the dream wear, That was one reason I liked it so much.
I did switch the settings on the machine to FFm from Nasal.
I would like to figure out if I really have less episodes with a nasal mask, or if the machine isn't picking them up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2017, 10:13 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: A number of members have reported small changes in performance between nasal pillows and FFM, usually with the pillows giving a better performance. You may also need to adjust the pressure slightly to optimise the therapy - FFM may require a slightly higher pressure than the pillows.

The lower pressure could be the problem. I was able to lower it when I switched to the nasal. I will set the machine to apap mode for the next week and see if my 95% pressure is higher with FFM. Maybe Like you said, I just need more pressure with FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 946 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,210 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,481 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,545 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 631 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Nasal swelling/congestion after 3~5 hrs with CPAP, will steroid nasal spray work? ronragus 7 1,302 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hegel
  Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? CorruptAlligator 27 5,346 11-21-2021, 09:29 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.