Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasty cold - can my CPAP help me breathe?
Nasty cold - can my CPAP help me breathe?
Ack!! I've been toughing it out with a cold for 5 days. But on Wednesday it got so bad it woke me up: I couldn't breathe even WITH my CPAP pushing through things.

I surrendered and got some Nyquil and Dayquil today. Ahhhh.... blessed relief after one dose. Only to read on the box: do not take with warfarin (Coumadin). Contacted my Coumadin team and they confirmed: do not take the stuff. So I'm left with Allegra and Nasonex, which hadn't helped before. And Afrin, which does help, but I hate the rebound it's going to cause.

Meanwhile: can I set my CPAP to auto (I'm on fixed pressure of 8) and see if it will power through this?? Right now it's so bad I'm mouth breathing around the nasal pillows, and defeating the CPAP, even though I'm propped up in bed.

Suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasty cold - can my CPAP help me breathe?
You're using nasal pillows. You will be amazed at how much better you breath. It sucks to have a cold, but my experience has been CPAP mitigates the effect.

Good luck! We're expecting mid 80s all weekend here and the pool is open at over 80 degrees. I'm lovin' it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2015, 05:07 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: Suggestions?

You might try turning the humidity either higher or lower. I personally usually turn it higher, the extra moisture helps thin out the mucus and helps the cpap push through things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible that the humidifier could have caused the cold? I didn't use a humidifier for 4 years; my old machine used to rain in my face, so I just learned to do without it. The AirSense 10 AutoSet has the heated hose and all that, so I figured I'd give humidity a try again. And three days after starting on humidity, I started this cold. I don't usually GET colds, either.

Now, it's a brand new hose and a brand new machine, and distilled water ..... so I don't think I'm sending any mold or anything into my system. But I'm freaked enough that I think I'll turn the humidifier off again for a while. Oh, and the cold was almost better on Wednesday (after 5 days), till I went to bed. An hour later, it was so bad I had to rip the mask off (well, nasal pillows) and use Afrin to nose breathe at all.

I'm inclined to go without humidity until the cold has gone away and stayed away ..... before I try it again. But I can't see why my system would react exactly the reverse of everybody else's.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is possible that doing without added humidity will dry things up enough to keep everything open. No, I do not think it very possible that the humidifier caused the cold.

See, if you had been using a FFM like I do, you might not have gotten the cold to begin with. Big Grin Big Grin Just kidding of course. I have used the FFM for well over a year and have had no colds at all. Gotta put in a plug for the "hated" Mirage Quattro when the opportunity arises.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,786 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,174 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,024 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  Source for anataomy illustration of how we breathe nose only for CPAP? Stom 0 300 09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Just got my machine - can’t breathe - any suggestions? tigress35 5 991 08-14-2023, 09:12 PM
Last Post: tigress35
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.