Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Natural Remedies for OSA?
RE: Natural Remedies for OSA?
(07-07-2012, 01:45 PM)Sleepster Wrote: High blood pressure (hypertension) is dramatically reversed by CPAP therapy. There's a lot of stress placed on your heart by OSA. Once you treat OSA you reduce most of that stress.

This morning SleepyHead informed me that last night was night 93 since I started CPAP therapy, so I'm still pretty new to this.

According to the collective wisdom of the internet treating my OSA is supposed to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce hypertension. I am happy to report that I have been able to reduce my insulin use by about 25%, although at the beginning it increased by about the same amount. Suddenly at about the end of the second month my insulin need dropped dramatically.

However, I'm still waiting for the hypertension benefits to show up. I still need the same dosages to keep the blood pressures in the normal range.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2012, 10:30 PM)Tommy C Wrote: So, where did we go wrong in our modern lifestyle and evolution? Are we doing or not doing things, detrimental to our design, that is causing our OSA problems?
Tom

While it is not true of all OSA patients, certainly a large portion of OSA patients can reduce (or sometimes eliminate) their OSA symptoms by simply losing weight.

Yeah, I know that this does not apply to all OSA patients. My father is close to his ideal body weight, and yet still has moderate OSA, for instance.

But, if we're seeking "natural remedies", certainly getting down to one's ideal body weight can't hurt - and many times does indeed reduce OSA symptoms.

Obesity has increased dramatically over the past decade... I believe this is contributing to the increased diagnosis of OSA... in addition to a higher awareness of the condition itself among health care professionals and the general public.

That said, I would not recommend that an overweight OSA patient simply "go on a diet" and leave it at that. Get on CPAP first to reduce your apnea events, and then work on the diet & exercise alongside the CPAP treatment until you get to your ideal weight. Then once you've lost weight, re-evaluate your CPAP pressure... you may need to reduce it as you monitor your AHI levels. At some point, you may be able to get off CPAP if the weight was the major contributing factor to the OSA in the first place.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2012, 11:52 PM)zonk Wrote: [quote='Tommy C' pid='14026' dateline='1341545455']
I wonder, how did the human body get to this point?

It's also possible that since much OSA doesn't show up till adulthood, it wasn't selected out in evolution because the OSA sufferers had already reproduced and passed on the genetic disposition to their progeny. If OSA appeared in youth, perhaps many of those afflicted would have died of various causes before reproducing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think maybe OSA does appear in childhood and is the cause of SIDS. Regardless, a lot of the symptoms of OSA do not appear until after reproductive age, or possible even OSA itself doesn't appear until well after reproductive age is obtained.

So, like you say, there is little or no selective mechanism in place to remove OSA from the gene pool. Moreover, OSA is influenced by our environment, such as a plentiful food supply that leads to obesity.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Settings to mimic natural breathing? koy23 12 1,769 01-23-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: selfcoacher
Idea Women of childbearing age may see natural variations in AHI during the month willo 5 1,319 12-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
Question Natural Alternatives for PLMD w/ Bruxism cmdBOSS 1 1,476 05-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: green wings
  Natural Sleep Aid suggestion for Anxiety Peyt 17 6,936 02-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Last Post: me50
  [News] 7 Natural Treatments for Sleep Apnea ApneaNews 0 2,561 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.