Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Natural Sleep Aid suggestion for Anxiety
Natural Sleep Aid suggestion for Anxiety
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone suggest any natural sleep aid for people suffering from Anxiety?
I tried many pharmaceutical drugs and none worked without many side effects except Xanax. As you may know, Xanax is primary is Anxiety drug and not really a sleep drug.

But I am trying to stay natural so I wanted to ask for your suggestions on a natural sleep aid. I did try Melatonin, but that only gave me a real bad headache the next day.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Natural Sleep Aid suggestion for Anxiety
I used to have anxiety disorder and creative visualizations and transcendental meditation work
Post Reply Post Reply
Meditation. And really look into sleepy hygiene.

Our bodies and brains are creatures of habits. If we teach them new habits, good or bad, they get stuck in them. We sit in our office chairs and we slip into "work mode" (even if work mode means anger, frustration, and depression). We put on "uniforms" (gym clothes, work clothes, lay around the house clothes) and we get into whatever mode those uniforms have require.

I have insomnia, chronic pain, and other issues and meditation keeps me (relatively) sane. Sleep hygiene helps keep me in a good sleep rhythm.

But keep in mind that what works for one may not work for you.

In all seriousness, have you tried counseling?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Peyt, I agree with the others, meds just mask the symptoms and may work short term but the underlying issues will always be there. There is always a reason why people have anxiety, stress or worry, what you need to do is identify the reason and fix it then use things like meditation to maintain a healthy balance. Counselling may help, using things like CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). I have done CBT and now go weekly to a Mindfulness class which incorporates meditation and yoga and teaches us to accept our anxieties, stresses and worry and how to deal with them.
I'm sure you will find natural medications over the counter that will reduce but it will always come back. Try to stay away from prescription meds and if you are going to use the don't use them for more than a month, hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2013, 05:31 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Peyt, I agree with the others, meds just mask the symptoms and may work short term but the underlying issues will always be there. There is always a reason why people have anxiety, stress or worry, what you need to do is identify the reason and fix it then use things like meditation to maintain a healthy balance. Counselling may help, using things like CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). I have done CBT and now go weekly to a Mindfulness class which incorporates meditation and yoga and teaches us to accept our anxieties, stresses and worry and how to deal with them.
I'm sure you will find natural medications over the counter that will reduce but it will always come back. Try to stay away from prescription meds and if you are going to use the don't use them for more than a month, hope this helps.

I agree with the other posts.

Here is a good book I was told about (it is a new book so libraries won't have it): Title: MINDFULNESS FOR HEALTH: A practical guide to relieving pain, reducing stress and restoring wellbeing
Author: Vidyamala Burch, Danny Penman

I don't know about anything natural and over the counter for anxiety without looking which I can do later. For sleeping: All natural Somnapure has been recommended by a lot of people I know. I have not tried it. You can go online and they have coupons for a discount.
All natural or not, I wouldn't take it long term. The others are correct in saying we can become dependent on it, not because the medication, like Xanax, is addictive, but because our brains become accustomed to it and expect it to be able to sleep.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, I have been meditating for 12 years.

I believe part of my sleep problems has to do with the Apnea itself! it's a catch 22!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good! Then it is time to switch up your meditations then. Go speak to someone who teaches or practices it and talk to them about it. There may be something they can do to help you.

It goes back to our body's habits.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Use Chamomille, it is magical in helping sleep disorders. Try the twinings or lypton in hot water and drink before sleeping. Xanax is bad if you have pure OSA. Chamomille effect is much better than xanax for sleep, in my experience.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2013, 01:59 PM)Peyt Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Can anyone suggest any natural sleep aid for people suffering from Anxiety?
I tried many pharmaceutical drugs and none worked without many side effects except Xanax. As you may know, Xanax is primary is Anxiety drug and not really a sleep drug.

But I am trying to stay natural so I wanted to ask for your suggestions on a natural sleep aid. I did try Melatonin, but that only gave me a real bad headache the next day.

Peyt, have you excluded all excitotoxins from your diet?
My daughter had IBS and anxiety problems, we researched and eliminated all excitotoxins from her diet and the change was remarkable, I googled this as an example for you, http://www.panicattack.net/treat.htm

Maybe google this "anxiety" and "excitotoxins" for your own reseach.
Often people may have been consuming something for years with no ill effect and then for some unknown reason that something that you have been eating becomes disagreeable to you.
I have had to stop eating anything with MSG, drinking coffee and now gluten also.

good luck

ps. also it could be a good idea to get your doctor to check your iron and vitamin levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exercise works great. Jogging or just walking more than 30 minutes, anything that makes you sweat and get the blood pumping.

Meditation also works well, and is like a reset button for your mind.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 718 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 401 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.