Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nausea, Sometimes Extreme- Cause By Sleep Apnea?
RE: Nausea, Sometimes Extreme- Cause By Sleep Apnea?
JoeFromSD,
You didn't mention if you are taking any medications or supplements, either prescription or OTC. Are you?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Folks I got my sleep test results back, can you interpret this for me?

I see a obstructive apnea of 27 seconds and a maximum one at 50 seconds, is this where I stop breathing? For 50 seconds?!

how good, or bad is my sleep test?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Joe, it's not too alarming, but you can't sleep in my hotel room with that snoring. You have oxygen desaturations to a minimum of 81% and 90% of your night is less than 90% SpO2. That's not so good. That lowest O2 corresponds to the double obstructive apneas you had. Surprisingly, you have a low obstructive apnea index that would not by itself suggest a need for treatment, of only 1.3 with a total of only 7 events through the sleep period of just over 5-hours. All those blue marks are hypopnea events where your respiratory volume fell significantly below your average threshold. combined with the snoring, This will be the basis for mild obstructive sleep apnea, and an AHI just below 10. That alone, might not ordinarily qualify you for CPAP insurance coverage, but combined with the SpO2 desaturations which are significant, I think you will get a recommendation for CPAP. This is not polysomnography and may under-estimate actual AHI and OSA severity.

That's my take. You need better ventilation through the night, and it probably won't take too much pressure to overcome the obstructive issues seen in this home study.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never knew I snored, but then haven't had a partner for the last 10 years ..

that low O2 is probably caused by my COPD from smoking.

so looks like I'll be using a CPAP, I've heard they're a hassle, can anyone recommend a certain type?

it's good to know it's not too bad though, appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not say that CPAP in neccesarily a hassle. Some people have claustrophobia or or other fears not grounded in reality. Some people take it a personal offence and approach it with rage. So it can be a challenge from that perspective.

Physically, the pressure is not really that much (not enough to inflate a party balloon). The airflow is also not much -- provided your mask leaks are minor. The masks tend to be pretty comfortable though this is highly personal as we all have different faces. The machine make some noise, but less than a fan on in the room. And there is the hose, which can be less of an intrusion is you hang it from something. All in all, it does not need to be a big deal.

After a few months, I can't say that I find it more of a hassle than having to fluff up my pillow or straighten out the blankets at night. It is just there in bed with me. Often when I wake up, I have to touch my face to verify the mask is on and life the edge to assure myself the air is still flowing.

It is 90% attitude and 10% getting a good fitting, comfortable mask. Well, maybe 20%.
Post Reply Post Reply
Joe,

I have the nausea just like you experience, except I also get headaches, tense muscles, and irritable bowel. I used to get them just before I had to give a presentation at work, leave on a business trip, etc. They are classic anxiety symptoms, and they haven't changed since I started CPAP therapy. In my case, there is no relationship between CPAP and the symptoms. A psychiatrist prescribed low-dose Xanax to use as-needed, and it helps a lot. It might be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apnea and acid reflux often go hand in hand, i'm not a doctor but it's something worth looking at. I'm on a daily dose of omeprozole to help control my reflux because every morning I'd wake up a little nauseous.
Post Reply Post Reply
JP, doesn't acid reflux leave an acid taste in your throat? I never have that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Joe, you have COPD and one of the notable features from your sleep study is respiratory insufficiency reflected in a low SpO2. Keep in mind you're borderline for CPAP approval at all based on AHI. If I was picking a machine you are likely to be approved for, it would be the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Mainly because it is the most like a bilevel of the machines available. With COPD a higher inhalation pressure and lower exhalation pressure, the tidal volume is improved and lung function gets an assist. You might be better on a real bilevel, that has more than the 3 cm of pressure support of the Autoset, but I don't see insurance going for it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
My reflux manifests with morning nausea and a nagging cough. The medication helps with this but I also have to watch what I eat and how late I eat, I can't have anything after 7 if I'm going to bed at 10 or it worsens my symptoms. I only occasionally have that acidy taste in my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 348 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.