Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neck and mid upper back pain when using bilevel
Neck and mid upper back pain when using bilevel
Does anyone know why my husband would get neck and back pain while using his bilevel machine?  He is using a dreamwear nasal mask and chin strap.   The minute he takes the mask off the pain dissipates.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Neck and mid upper back pain when using bilevel
nixynic,
It may may the chin strap. A chin strap should not push the jaw back which may be what’s happening. The strap should gently push the jaw upwards.

Also, the problem could be with your husband’s sleeping pillow. It’s either too flat or too tall.
A pillow should support the neck to keep it aligned. If the pillow isn’t supporting the neck properly, you will notice it in your upper back and shoulders.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 08:02 AM)nixynic Wrote: Does anyone know why my husband would get neck and back pain while using his bilevel machine?  He is using a dreamwear nasal mask and chin strap.   The minute he takes the mask off the pain dissipates.

Does he have a history of neck pain? Like, maybe he wore one of those night guards to prevent teeth grinding and clenching?

My thought is that the chin strap is pushing his jaw inwards and he is fighting it by clenching his teeth?

Your profile states he's wearing a full face mask? But you say he's wearing a nasal mask with a chin strap.

I would try a full face mask. Of course, there's no need to wear a chin strap with a full face mask.

This can be introduced as a temporary measure, just to see if it fixes the problem. You can always go back to the nasal mask and try a different brand of chin strap.

I would like to see his leak rate graph so I can examine it for signs of mouth-leaking. If indeed he is still mouth-leaking with a chin strap then he will need to switch to a full face mask, anyway. It will improve his quality of sleep and he'll feel better and more rested during the day.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often suffer mid/upper back pain when using my CPAP machine. It often comes with reflux-like symptoms. I suspect it's a symptom of aerophagia because it was worse when I used to use higher pressure (before I lost some weight).

My suspicion is that CPAP inflates the esophagus and this compromises the flap valve that normally prevents reflux. One of the well-known symptoms of severe reflux is back pain.

Of course, this doesn't explain your partner's neck pain, so in his case, this might be muscular. Perhaps he has adapted his posture in order to control his mask and tube, in such a way as to cause muscle tension?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 1 70 8 hours ago
Last Post: freakyfrog
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 131 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,669 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 166 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  I got a ResVent 30STA Bilevel TechieHippie 17 471 04-06-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 130 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.