Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neck brace and mask headgear?
Neck brace and mask headgear?
Due to the possibility of neck surgery and the wonderful brace that comes with it, I'm looking at the mask situation in preparation. I realized that the back strap for the Simplus sits really low and I'd have to raise my head off the pillow fairly far for it to be put on.

Since the brace would be keeping my mouth closed (and hopefully cutting down on lip leaks), I'm probably going to be using the Nuance during that time. The one I have is in really bad shape so I'll have to get a new one. The headgear can be slipped down the back of my head without me moving so that's a plus. But it still comes down fairly far.

Has anyone had neck surgery or had to wear a serious neck brace (not the pharmacy foam version) while wearing a CPAP mask? The surgery will be working on C4-7. I have a neck brace now but it doesn't come up very high (and is minimalistic to keep me cool) while the braces for this kind of thing go much higher and minimal is not something to describe them!

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Neck brace and mask headgear?
Hi I had a fatty lump removed on the back of my neck- top of my shoulders which abscessed and left a huge hole that needed packing for weeks. I am a mouth breather and use a mask. I had a lot of difficulty because the strap rested just above the stitches and with the swelling it pressed and cut into my wound I ended up having to flikp the strap up over itself to get relief and suffer the mouth leaks, Maybe having the neck brace will be a bonus and you can loosen the straps of your mask and pad it up with a flannel or something.
For me it was 6+ wks of torture I hope you have a better run

Coeur
Post Reply Post Reply
What I am looking for too is something easy to put on. I think the Simplus is going to be too complicated for a while. And the headgear really comes down low. That's going to make it difficult to put on.

I think I will just get the Nuance or the new Dreamwear.

And OUCH! That must've hurt for you!

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm...tough one, Paula. I know the P10 can be worn fairly high up with it's little split strap. I've got a Respironics Softcap headgear...longer straps and the mesh backing to distribute the load better...might be an option, perhaps?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hahahaha

P10 for Paula Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder how hospitals handle such a situation? They must have people who have neck braces and need CPAP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I find out Thursday if they will even do the surgery. It's a soup that's been simmering for far too long.

If nothing else, the lower back strap can be put on top of the neck brace.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
My best wishes on that Paula.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
What Mongo said, Paula plus a few.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto from me, Paula
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,659 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 439 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 353 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 423 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 312 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.