Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neck collar substitute?
Neck collar substitute?
Any ideas for a substitute for a foam neck collar?

I have a neck collar from an old neck injury. When I sleep in it, my mouth flops open. Yep, almost worse than without it.

If it's loose enough to breathe, my chin snuggles up behind it. If I tighten it, my chin drops on the outside of it.

I have a long and scrawny neck....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Neck collar substitute?
Does your existing collar dimensions fit the measurements given in the wiki? If not, you may just need a different collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try a chin strap to keep your jaw closed.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2017, 01:12 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Any ideas for a substitute for a foam neck collar?

I have a neck collar from an old neck injury. When I sleep in it, my mouth flops open. Yep, almost worse than without it.

If it's loose enough to breathe, my chin snuggles up behind it. If I tighten it, my chin drops on the outside of it.

I have a long and scrawny neck....

Hello HalfAsleep,

I would be hesitant to use a neck collar that was used for an injury. When we recommend a "soft" cervical collar, we aren't looking to hold the neck in a rigid position.

Measure your neck circumference and add 2 to 3 inches, then measure the area below chin to bottom of neck and subtract and inch or two.

This leaves you with a collar that is roomy enough to allow you to turn in your sleep without hinderance.
Also, it shouldn't be so tall that it pushes up on your neck too much.

What you don't want is a "one size fits all" collar. Search Amazon...you will see many sizes and options, and they are not expensive. Measuring is a first step. Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The one I have is the soft foam, one size fits all kind. The cheap design you get at the drugstore.
Post Reply Post Reply
The OTC collar from Amazon at around $10 comes in a nice selection of collars. mine is very comfortable and keeps my mouth closed.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Chin strap. Better for you long-necks. Wink
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 220 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 533 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.