Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neck collar
Neck collar
I’ve seen many profiles saying people use neck collars. Any recommendations? Do you need a special collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Neck collar
Here is a wiki article on soft cervical collars.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Eliminator which can be bought on Amazon. I have tried the drug store brands but they all compressed within a couple of weeks and were useless. Bought the re-leaf after that and got a month or so before it to bent to the pressure.

I now use The Eliminator and have been using the same one since Nov 23, 2018. It is a more durable memory foam and does not distort and is very comfortable. Even the cloth shell has held up

The only issue I had with it, is that the Velcro strap on the body was pulling loose. Solution was to sew on a larger Velcro strap on the body and have not had issues since. If you do get one, I would sew on the larger Velcro strap right from the get go.

I do take the cloth shell off and run it through the washer with a load of towels every now and then to keep it clean.

Highly recommend this product.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best inexpensive one I have found was on eBay. It is a 4” collar by Coreline. My goal is to use 2 per year... wear, wash, alternate, wear...

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I reviewed the article and the suggestions for neck collars to avoid chin tuck while trying to sleep on my side. I narrowed it down to the Caldera Releaf based on posts. 
Then I found one for Sleep Apnea called Hauser- Hatto neck collar that has a separate piece for the chin and has a washable cover. Since I would wear it every night that may make sense?
Any suggestions for pillows with the neck collar. Does a bed wedge help if you are trying to sleep on your side?
 How about  selecting and affordable new Hybrid mattress with Gel foam?  I guess it all matters.

This is a remarkable site with an abundance of information.  Trying to prioritize steps to improve 2.5 years without Sleep Apnea guidance and increasing EDS.   I now realize there are a lot of  sleep disorder components to address. A true Differential Diagnosis  would be nice but unlikely to find a Dr with those skills. Once I figure out  to reset to AutoPap  and then Oscar I am optimistic for some improvement. 
Should have used user name Tired of Being Tired
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know anything about the Hauser- Hatto collar. I tried standard soft cervicle collars and the Dr. Dakota Snore Stop wedge. I couldn't get used to either. I'm currently using the Caldera Releaf with very dood results.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I purchased the cheapest one I could find and it has been awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shulamet the Hauser- Hatto neck collar appears to be a very good solution for about $40. It has a lot of extras like waterproof and replacement covers and even a head rotation strap system. All of that is optional, and the ability to adjust comfort and chin height is the most important feature. If you try this one, I hope you will offer some feedback to the forum. It seems to check all the boxes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a cheap one from Walgreens and it has helped tremendously. No more mouth leaks. It's called "OTC Professional Orthopaedic".
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your  neck support, literally. This Forum  has given me validation to be my own advocate to pursue optimizing my use of my APAP, and gaining tools to improve my "Sleep Hygiene".   I am no longer on this 2.5 year journey alone.
BTW the only beneficial info that came out of my Titration was my Mallampatia score of 4. This means I may have difficulty if I  ever need an  intubation.  " it is  a predictor of mask ventilation during anesthesia induction and presence of sleep apnea"
My Mother had always told her Dr. "difficult intubations". At 94 they finally said "sleep apnea". I was diagnosed 2 years ago and only now learned I should also disclose "difficult intubation".
So it would seem it means an increase in soft tissue / or tongue volume and chin tucking in sleep can contribute to OSA.
Accordingly, a collar may help.  I have not found info on how much weight to lose to improve the score if at all. My neck size is 14 and my BMI is 27. I do not fit the "normal" criteria.

I ordered the Hauser Hotto Collar since I am tired of trial and error..... If this works it may be a good longer term investment. I will observe on my Dream Mapper App any improvement.  I read the Face Mask article and wonder how I have had a 100% 100% of the time Mask Fit ( dream wear cushion top of the head hose) I am in alot of motion so I am suspect of that reading.  ( Recently given PLMS diagnosis and no info). # different DME just keep saying the Mask is fine when I ask to try another one.....

Now if I can figure out  what HUB to buy to to transfer my SD Memory  to my PC which only has a micro SD port, so I can evaluate my Data through Oscar. The whole Toshiba SD wireless was way above my comfort level and dread transferring data back to the Phillips SD.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 228 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 552 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 428 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 362 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 363 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 536 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.