Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neck rash
Neck rash
I am developing a rash on the back of my head from the head strap. Anyone else have this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Neck rash
I don't have these problems but I sounds like it might be an allergic reaction to the material or else it could be from sweating in that area. I would sew a cover from an old T-shirt for the strap, perhaps double on the inside. If you have one, use another mask with strapping in a different place until healed. I don't know how long your hair is, but if it's short enough, a bit of baby powder in that area before putting on the mask will also help.
Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you washed the straps?
If you have not, try washing it in an unscented cleaner.
If you have washed it, with a scented cleaner, wash it again with an unscented one. Some folks can develop skin irritation from the fragrances added to many cleaners.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto the contact allergen and the washing.

Wash it very well with unscented soap. Try to remove as much oils as possible. Rinse rinse rinse rinse. Then rinse some more. Let it air dry and try again.

If it is just the back of your head, and if it continues, consider changing your shampoo and/or conditioner. It could be one or both of them is being an irritant when heated up and pressed by the strap at night.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a piece of chamois (soft leather) folded over the strap that goes behind my neck... It keeps the strap from digging into my skin, and absorbs sweat too! (been doing this for several years now (y) )
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 313 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
  FFM with no neck strap? sleepyzzz 4 567 10-14-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  Vagal Atrial Fibrillation & ResMed F20 Strap Neck MoreBeers 42 3,426 05-23-2023, 06:20 AM
Last Post: MoreBeers
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,058 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Old user, had neck surgery, struggling with collar Chinkapin 7 678 02-17-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Chinkapin
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.