Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling more tired after a month on CPAP
RE: Feeling more tired after a month on CPAP
I sleep on my side with the pillows and have no leaks. To begin with I slept on my back because I was afraid of moving around and dislodging pillows. I would lay awake for a long time and 'over-think it'. I sleep comfortably on both sides now with no problem. Being only two months in, on occasion, I struggle getting my pillows on and comfortable with them. As JohnNJ said, I think letting them inflate first does help although I admit I don't always think to do that. I put the mask on then turn the machine on. If I can't get comfortable quickly, I start fidgeting with it a lot which frustrates me and I am wide awake from the frustration. I have the ClimateLine hose and recently began using the warmup feature. It requires me remembering to go to turn it on which isn't always something I think of nor convenient when I am in a different location in the house. I am trying to remember it. It makes a big difference for me. Otherwise, putting the mask on and having the cool air blow up my nose is like breathing in cold fresh air making me wide awake even though I was really tired when I went to bed. And it sometimes feels like I have a drippy nose from cool moisture and I have to lift the pillows to wipe my nose ... then start all over trying to get the pillows situated again. I hate having that feeling of a drippy nose. From the start, I have had CPAP induced insomnia that I am still working through. I have a mild sleep medication that really helps. But I have to remember to take it long enough before going to bed. Once I get to sleep, I don't wake up at all and sleep on my sides most of the time now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2014, 02:05 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: I sleep on my side with the pillows and have no leaks. To begin with I slept on my back because I was afraid of moving around and dislodging pillows. I would lay awake for a long time and 'over-think it'. I sleep comfortably on both sides now with no problem. Being only two months in, on occasion, I struggle getting my pillows on and comfortable with them. As JohnNJ said, I think letting them inflate first does help although I admit I don't always think to do that. I put the mask on then turn the machine on. If I can't get comfortable quickly, I start fidgeting with it a lot which frustrates me and I am wide awake from the frustration. I have the ClimateLine hose and recently began using the warmup feature. It requires me remembering to go to turn it on which isn't always something I think of nor convenient when I am in a different location in the house. I am trying to remember it. It makes a big difference for me. Otherwise, putting the mask on and having the cool air blow up my nose is like breathing in cold fresh air making me wide awake even though I was really tired when I went to bed. And it sometimes feels like I have a drippy nose from cool moisture and I have to lift the pillows to wipe my nose ... then start all over trying to get the pillows situated again. I hate having that feeling of a drippy nose. From the start, I have had CPAP induced insomnia that I am still working through. I have a mild sleep medication that really helps. But I have to remember to take it long enough before going to bed. Once I get to sleep, I don't wake up at all and sleep on my sides most of the time now.

Nailed it! The only thing that I have not done is taking a sleep aid.
Thanks ImaSurvivor.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome and good luck!

I was very reluctant and still am. I don't like taking any medicine I don't have to. However, it was that or lay awake for hours, get frustrated, feel awful in work, and not function well. The sleep aid I have is recommended by the sleep doctor as one that "has little risk of toxicity or the development of tolerance. Also less likely to aggravate obstructive breathing or cause suppression of ventilatory drive." [quote taken from summary of my sleep studies]. It was shown in both my sleep studies I had disturbed prolonged periods of awakening and brief spontaneous arousals suggesting potential difficulties with insomnia. The medicine I have is also prescribed for restless legs and according to one of my other doctors used for chronic pain as well. The pharmacist also confirmed with my husband that many take it long term with no problems. I am hoping not to take it long term though. I have been given 5 refills and would like to wean myself away from it by the time refills run out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 07:22 PM)JJordan Wrote: Hello All, New Member and first post. My AHI number from the sleep study was 23. I have been using my S9 almost a month now and averaging 6 hours of use a night according to the report. The past week 8 and 9 hours of use, not sleep. I first tried a full face mask and it felt like I was suffocating, tried the nasal mask and it was uncomfortable on my nose and leaked. Now I am using Nasal pillows and they are working fine. I have always slept on my side and could not sleep at all on my back. For the past month I have been trying to sleep on my back because everything I have tried with the CPAP on my side leaks. The problem is I am waking up more frequently during the night than I was before the CPAP and I am very tired during the day. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience getting use to this new way of sleeping.

try using Sobakawa Buck Pillow fr confortable sleeping on the side as it does not push on the mark.

Post Reply Post Reply
For comfortable sleep on the side and without the pillow pushing on the side of the mask, I had to switch to sleeping with a Sobakawa Buck Pillow, which are less bulky, but very confortalbe.

Nevertheless, I have been able to resolve the fatigue I feel when I use the cpap all night. I will be taking it to my appt. as suggested, perhaps something needs to be adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me six weeks to get used to it and start sleeping the entire night. I use a simplus full face mask and love it. I sleep on my side and no problems. Just hang in you should be getting through it
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 36 4 hours ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 186 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,969 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 176 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.