Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Progressively worse
Progressively worse

.pdf   Screenshot 2020-03-06 15.32.12.pdf (Size: 384.19 KB / Downloads: 31)
.pdf   Screenshot 2020-03-06 15.41.51.pdf (Size: 263.18 KB / Downloads: 24) New user of Airsense 10. Been on it for about 50 days. Have adjusted to it pretty well but numbers seem to be getting progressively worse. Lots of CA and Cheyne Stokes activity that seems to occur during deep sleep. I have AFIB, had a thalamic stroke a couple fo years ago, and had a bout 40AHI before I was prescribed my current machine. Scheduled for another all night sleep lab to test reaction to Servo-Ventilation BiPap unit, but in meantime wondered if any of you experienced members have any insights/comments/reactions/observations to the attached data that can help me understand it and get some hope.
Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Progressively worse
G'day Cberrien. Welcome to Apnea Board.

As you can see from your own charts, you have a fairly high (and increasing) proportion of central apnea. This can be pre-existing or treatment-emergent. It's important to know which it is, as that can guide the therapy decisions. Are you able to post a copy of your sleep report? We need to see the charts & tables, not just the summary. Make sure you blank out any personal data (address, phone number etc) before posting.

Just by way of explanation, many new users get some central apneas as the body adjusts to the new way of breathing. You're breathing more efficiently, which depletes the level of CO2 in the blood. This is a good thing but if the CO2 goes below a certain threshold the brain says "everything's OK, there's no need to breathe just yet". And you get a central apnea. Often these go away after a few months but sometimes they can be persistent.

The machine you're currently on will not treat central apnea, and it sounds like your doc is on the right track in suggesting an ASV. You mentioned a heart condition - the current guidelines (which may change) contraindicate ASV for people with congestive heart failure and a low left ventricle ejection fraction. So you'll probably need an echocardiogram or similar to confirm you don't fall into this category. As an aside, the study which turned up this contraindication is not universally accepted and a new study is under way which seems to overturn the earlier results.

If you do get an ASV machine, try to ensure you get the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. There is an equivalent Dreamstation model but experience among members here indicates that the Resmed is more comfortable and generally more efficacious.

One final thing - could you have a look at the instructions for organising your Oscar daily screenshots please? Te default setup with calendar and pie chart obscures some important information. The instructions are here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for the useful information you provided. I really appreciate the time you took to fill me in. I've attached the "dailies" for the past few days modified per the instructions you referred me to. They might (or might not) generate more insights.
Thanks again!!!
Curt

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Based only your graph you clearly have mixed apnoea and need to be on a different machine an ASV, it may take some time to get there but keep working with your dr there are no changes we can suggest to reduce your nightly AHI with your current machine
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 183 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 590 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,995 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.