Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Advice about Central Apneas
RE: Need Advice about Central Apneas
(07-03-2016, 03:08 PM)justMongo Wrote: Sometimes increased PS will increase CA because it permits CO2 washout. CO2 being a primary trigger for breathing while sleeping. PS is helpful for people who have resistance upon exhale: such as COPD. Also, PS gives exhale relief when using large Inhalation pressure (like me.)

I'd leave the PS at 3. But narrow the 4 to 25 cm-H2O pressure window.
If it were me, I'd set minEPAP to 6 -- which is your 95 percentile for 02JUL2016; and maxIPAP to 12. You only went to 10 last night, so that gives the machine 2 cm of headroom. That should take care of the HA and OA. The CA will bear watching.

I agree with Mongo. I think raising Min EPAP to 6 is warranted.

Notice how the first two CAs in the zoomed-in period on July 2 were preceded by sudden arrowhead-shaped recovery breathing (which clearly indicates something obstructive also going on), which likely washed out too much CO2, leading to the CAs. And many of the CAs in other zoomed-in periods appear to be preceded by less obvious sudden recovery breathing.

Sudden recovery breaths indicate an obstructive arousal to a more shallow state of sleep in response to obstructive apnea, obstructive hypopnea, Flow Limitation or other partial restriction of the airway. The sudden increase in the amplitude of the Flow waveform represents a sudden increase in breathing effort which, if we remain asleep, is typically followed by a steady reduction in amplitude, forming an overall arrowhead shape in the amplitude. When recovery breathing is not flagged as an event, it means these were probably respiratory effort related arousals which did not quite meet the criteria to be scored as RERA, or perhaps our machine simply does not detect/report RERA at all.

Higher Min EPAP would tend to help reduce the obstructive component of the problem, which may be triggering most of the CAs.

Regarding Pressure Support, I think that increasing PS would likely worsen the number of CAs.

Adjusting Min EPAP to 6 could be done in two steps of 1 cmH2O each, waiting at least a week between changes. (Raising the Min EPAP, like raising the Min Pressure in an APAP machine, is partly a comfort choice, but it is important that it not be adjusted too low.) After at least a week can decide what next.

If at least a week after raising Min EPAP the average number of CAs is still higher than 2 or 3 per hr, I would probably suggest lowering PS to 2 and retaining the higher Min EPAP.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2016, 08:58 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: I still find myself getting tired throughout the day much like I was before I even started my treatment 15 months ago so I have always questioned if it really is working for me.

Your periods of high leak rate could easily be responsible for your ailment. Perhaps this is due to a poor-fitting mask.

However it's possible, even likely, that when you reach the deeper restorative levels of sleep your jaw-closing muscles relax, the pressurized air escapes out your mouth, and your airway collapses just as if you weren't using your machine at all.

If a chin strap doesn't resolve this problem then you will need to switch from a nasal mask to a full face mask.

I can't help but draw an analogy with house painting. If you skip over the basics, like stirring the paint well or making sure the walls are clean, then you're bound to to get a poor paint job.

Likewise, these leaks will ruin your ability to get a good night's sleep regardless of all the attention you pay to pressure settings and AHI.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2016, 11:36 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Your periods of high leak rate could easily be responsible for your ailment. Perhaps this is due to a poor-fitting mask.

However it's possible, even likely, that when you reach the deeper restorative levels of sleep your jaw-closing muscles relax, the pressurized air escapes out your mouth, and your airway collapses just as if you weren't using your machine at all.

If a chin strap doesn't resolve this problem then you will need to switch from a nasal mask to a full face mask.

I can't help but draw an analogy with house painting. If you skip over the basics, like stirring the paint well or making sure the walls are clean, then you're bound to to get a poor paint job.

Likewise, these leaks will ruin your ability to get a good night's sleep regardless of all the attention you pay to pressure settings and AHI.

Appreciate your's and all the other advice given thus far.

I had another below 5 AHI night last night on VAuto (I still need to adjust the min EPAP to 6 though). I find on VAuto though I get more leaks because when I had the pressure on the set 3-6 I pretty much eliminated all leaks so not sure why VAuto tends to give me so many leaks. I don't think the pressure is that much greater, but maybe I'll give some small tightenings on the mask tonight and see if that helps. Or do you think the higher pressures may be causing me to open up my mouth more frequently? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2016, 07:33 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: Or do you think the higher pressures may be causing me to open up my mouth more frequently?

If you're not wearing a chin strap, do so. If that doesn't eliminate the leak problem, then try a full face mask. Until you get your leaks under control, nothing else that you do will work for you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2016, 05:23 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 07:33 PM)wxmcpo Wrote: Or do you think the higher pressures may be causing me to open up my mouth more frequently?

If you're not wearing a chin strap, do so. If that doesn't eliminate the leak problem, then try a full face mask. Until you get your leaks under control, nothing else that you do will work for you.

I actually have one that my doctor gave me, but it is way too wide and bugs the crap out of me. I need to look into getting a much smaller one. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,577 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 217 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 126 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,544 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,088 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.