Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Advice on Auto CPAP Settings
Need Advice on Auto CPAP Settings
In October I switched from Dreamstation CPAP Pro with fixed pressure 9.0 cmH20 and Ramp and Flex turned off to DreamStation Auto CPAP with min. pressure of 5.0 and max. pressure of 15.0 with Ramp set at 4.0 and A-Flex set at 3.  As a result, my AHI immediately went from 0.9 for the last month on CPAP to over 5.0 on the Auto CPAP.  I turned Ramp and Flex off on the auto machine, which reduced the AHI some, but it is still well above what it was on the fixed pressure machine. AHI is now averaging about 5.1 but some nights have been as high as 7 or 8.  I had used CPAP fixed pressure of 9.0 for eight years on my previous machine and found it to be comfortable.  However, with the minimum pressure set at 5.0 on the auto machine, I sometimes feel like I am not getting enough air.  Also, it seems like the machine is not responding adequately to the hypopneas.

Here are thumbnails linked to SleepyHead charts on Imgur for the last 2 nights.  Please give me any suggestions you have for changing the settings. 

Last night (December 22, 2017):

[Image: BzXSWQCl.png]

Night before last (December 21, 2017):

[Image: Q0fGabBl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Advice on Auto CPAP Settings
Most events are hypopnea and obstructive, with a few flow limits sprinkled in. You need to increase the minimum pressure until they drop to acceptable levels. The Philips Dreamstation is a fine machine, but it's slow to increase pressure and prevent this nonsense. Just increase pressure in 1-cm increments until you feel happy with results. My best guess is you should be at a minimum CPAP pressure of at least 7.0. For some reason you just don't give your machine the precursor warnings it needs to increase pressure, so you remain at your minimum pressure all the time. If you look at the pressure graph vs events on December 21, it's obvious the events shut-off at 7.0 cm.

[Image: Q0fGabB.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. for the advice. I will begin experimenting with the minimum pressure tonight by increasing from 5.0 to 6.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try 6, but I also think that with the DS, 7 would be about right. It is slower than resmed and likes to be closer to the 90/95% number. With such low pressures, you could even have 8, which is near your fixed cpap pressure.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try the old settings of fixed pressure at 9 like your old machine and first see if you are getting the same results. Also depending on masks you use some require higher or lower pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ajack.  I'll try pressure of 6.0 for a few days and go up from there if results do not improve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2017, 11:18 PM)Milan72 Wrote: I would try the old settings of fixed pressure at 9 like your old machine and first see if you are getting the same results. Also depending on masks you use some require higher or lower pressures.

Thanks Milan72.  I have started slowly increasing the minimum pressure.  If that does not help, I'll try your suggestion of fixed pressure for comparison.  I don't think the mask is an issue because I am using exactly the same equipment (mask, nasal pillows, heated tubing, humidifier, etc.) on the new DreamStation Auto CPAP as I was using on the old DreamStation CPAP Pro fixed pressure machine.  The mask setting was x1 on both machines as specified in the DreamWear nasal pillows instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm guessing a minimum pressure of 8 cm clears most of it up.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 142 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 76 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 782 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.