Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need HELP!!!
RE: Need HELP!!!
Here is the information from my machine. I will be honest that when I got this back in 2009 the doctor basically said here it's auto set, but the mask on, turn it on, and go to sleep. I've never messed with the settings and I did find some data thanks to you guys. Don't know what any of it means tho.
Mode: Autoset
Min Press: 5.0
Max Press: 14.0
Max Settling: 25
Mask: Mir Full
Tube Length: 2 m
H3i
SmartStart: Off
Leak Alert: Off
EPR: Fulltime
EPR Level: 3
EPR Access: OFF

Date for one month:
Pressure: 8.6
Leak: .30 L/S
AHI: 4.2
AI: .1
HI: 4.2

For six months:
Pressure: 8.8
Leak: .12 L/S
AHI: 2.6
AI: .3
HI: 2.1

Maybe y'all understand this!
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Tells me quite a bit. You have a Resmed S8 Autoset II auto CPAP and H3i heated humidifier. It is set to a minimum pressure of 5.0 and maximum of 14 with EPR at 3; and it averages 8.6-8.8 cmH20 pressure. You are still having a AHI of 4.2, all of which is hypopnea.

Your machine would work better for you if you set the minimum pressure to 7.6-8.6 leaving EPR at 3 if you like the pressure relief. Your machine will probably end up averaging closer to 9 cm pressure by increasing the minimum, and this should reduce some of the hypopnea events. Your sleep apnea problem is fairly simple, but low pressure is letting events through, mainly because pressure is effectively much lower then you think. With EPR at 3, your minimum setting means you start at a pressure of only 5/4 (inhale/exhale). As the night goes on, that pressure increases to 6/4, 7/4, 8/5, 9/6...By starting at a higher pressure, we make the exhale relief more constant and give you the pressure needed to support your airway.

Your leak rate and usage all looks good, and this machine can be optimized to meet your needs. It appears you are using a full-face mask, and you may want to replace the cushion if it is becoming harder to hold a seal. Also, you may optionally turn on Smartstart. This will turn your machine on automatically when you put on the mask and take a breath or two. It will also shut the machine down automatically when you remove the mask.

Although your machine is not set up in an optimal manner now, it is close, and needs just these few tweaks to really work for you. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed the settings and it has helped. The problem is I sleep a good three hours and then I wake up. When I wake up the mask is off and I don't know how it happened. Doesn't matter if I use the nasal pillow or full face mask - it comes off! Any suggestions??
Post Reply Post Reply
Folks have tried these of options to prevent mask removal:
- A chin strap over the whole mask set up and around the back of your head
- Mittens on the hands
- Practice some time awake with the mask on to help become accustomed to it

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.