Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help-AHI < 5 but still tired
Need Help-AHI < 5 but still tired
I have been using CPAP for more than a year now. I have now managed to get the AHI level to be consistently below 5 and Obstruction to be less than 0 but I am still tired during the day. I have tried different pressure settings using CPAP and also auto APAP but it doesn't really change how I feel. I have enclosed the last couple of nights using various auto and fixed pressure settings. Can some body please help point me in the right direction and what I should do? I am out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help-AHI < 5 but still tired
I forgot the screenshots. Here they are.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Try these settings for a couple nights

Min 7
EPR full time 3
Max 20

EPR will help with your flow limits. FL are apnea also the same as O and H events. They stop you from getting deep sleep and can wake you up.

This setting will give you an inhale pressure 7 and exhale pressures of 4.

You need to give it a while and get better sleep for a few days to see any changes.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I will add my 2 Cents: I too fought with brain fogging and tiredness for two years after I was switched from a ASV machine to a APAP.

The problem was/is although like you I was able to get my AHIs below 5 per night I was NOT getting GOOD sleep.

Good sleep requires DEEP sleep cycles and REM sleep cycles. With out them I could sleep 10 hours and still be groggy all day.

In my case I got a ResMed Sleep Score Max system and saw that the simple APAP was cutting my DEEP sleep cycles and REM sleep cycles short.

And in my case switching back to a ASV machine solved my sleep cycle problem.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, this had to be asked on my part

@racprops, do you have so many CAs that needs treating? Is that why you use and ASV? A person with so low levels of CAs shouldn't require an ASV, but maybe a BIPAP would be an improvement over a normal APAP that the PS is maxed out at 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies.

(02-19-2023, 10:23 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Try these settings for a couple nights

Min 7
EPR full time 3
Max 20

EPR will help with your flow limits. FL are apnea also the same as O and H events. They stop you from getting deep sleep and can wake you up.

This setting will give you an inhale pressure 7 and exhale pressures of 4.

You need to give it a while and get better sleep for a few days to see any changes.

Thanks very much for the suggested setting. I will try it out starting tonight and will report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reporting back after using EPR setting change since 2/20/2023. Feeling much better since the change until today. Even though the numbers look ok last night, see chart enclosed, I felt tired today. But I will continue on.

Also, seems to look like the Clear Airways numbers seems to have increased and also Obstructive numbers a little bit since the EPR change.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to improve the first couple of days but then it got back the usual tired feeling. Any other things I could change to help?
Post Reply Post Reply
You're using a Resmed device, you can try a remediated Phillips device, it will help you sleep better. I'm one of the few on here that has tried both and the Phillips allows me to sleep better, juxtaposed with a similar AHI on DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 3 71 2 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 250 11 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 71 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,988 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 183 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 138 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.