Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Irritated lungs/chest/throat
Irritated lungs/chest/throat
So I’ve used CPAP for years now with a humidifier with no issue however I’ve started working recently in a mood manufacturing environment where we basically work in cold temperatures (cold enough to se.me your own breath). I’m wondering if this fluctuation of temperature between the dry cold and then the heated humidity could be causing irritation as I’m starting to get the odd cough and rough throat?!

Any suggestions to help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Irritated lungs/chest/throat
David, I think working in a refrigerated environment is sufficient to explain the irritation with or without CPAP humidification. In other words, leave the CPAP out of it, and find a way to deal with the work environment. Using a face mask is once easy way to increase your respired moisture and prewarm the air in refrigeration, as the mask material acts like a heat moisture exchanger (HME). Considering the pandemic situation, face masks are in high style these days. Thicker will retain more moisture and heat.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A cooled environment, conventionally cooled, is going to necessarily be dry.  Air can't hold moisture as it approaches the freezing point, at which it begins to precipitate out as ice crystals.  The warmer air gets, the higher the water content it can hold, and that's why high temps in humid places is so flippin' HOTTTT!!!  You are now working in a very dry environment, and apparently it isn't going swimmingly.

I think you may need the advice of a physician who understands the nature of your work environment and its apparent effect on you.  You may need an inhaler, or at least profit immensely in the short term by steroid use...not sure, and not advising...just giving an example of what your PCG will suggest you do.

That aside, I think Sleeprider has an astute immediate 'intervention' that might work; your mask will collect moisture and moisten the air. As long as it doesn't freeze up and stop you from breathing altogether.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go get a Covid test.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 01:10 AM)zabe Wrote: I would go get a Covid test.

If the environment is an abattoir I would definitely agree with the above comment. Covid19 seems to thrive in colder environments.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 03:12 AM)holden4th Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 01:10 AM)zabe Wrote: I would go get a Covid test.

If the environment is an abattoir I would definitely agree with the above comment. Covid19 seems to thrive in colder environments.

Use one of them drive-by's. It's safer not to walk into a danger zone, the most amount of covid gets detected on shoe soles.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Lactic acidosis in the lungs justdano 5 364 01-13-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 313 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
Video Throat vibration -- is this usual? Clarke40 0 482 09-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Clarke40
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 454 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Chest Pains. Set pressure? Dolla Bill 13 1,070 08-28-2023, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Dolla Bill
  ongoing chest pain msherman1000 3 514 08-23-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.