Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Choosing a CPAP Machine
Need Help Choosing a CPAP Machine
Hello,

New here and waiting diagnosis from home sleep study, but trying to research out what CPAP machine to request from my doctor should I need one,
as opposed to be handed whatever they have in stock.

I have read the sticky thread here about which machines are recommended and which are not, and also read some favorable comments
on the Phillips Resperonics Dream Station Auto, but the reviews were a couple of years old. Is the Dream Station Auto still considered
one of the best, or are there other machines with features I might want. Thanks for any help on this.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help Choosing a CPAP Machine
IMHO here are your choices.

The ResMed respond to events faster and as such many here have a preference for that, and the Respironics need to be tuned closer to your therapeutic pressure but ALL of these machines will work.

There are other machines that are acceptable.
  • ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)

(best choice) indicates a full data capable machine that has Sleepyhead software capability and an Auto Mode.  These are in general the best available machines

1. You will also want a heated hose (for comfort and) better humidity control (CPAPs tend to be somewhat drying)
  2. You will have this machine for 5-6 years (its normal lifetime)
  3. An Auto CPAP (APAP) is versatile and can be set in CPAP node
  4. This machine delivers complete efficacy data down to a breath by breath level if necessary, which is needed to know what is going on if something happens (and it usually does) and eliminate the need for another sleep study just to figure it out.  Additionally this is in my normal sleep environment.\
Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would put the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset way out in front, with the Dreamstation Auto CPAP a distant second. Many reasons for that, but mostly for the much more responsive algorithm, and bilevel style exhale pressure relief.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Is there a model number for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset so I can double check it against what I get.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred,

Thank you. From your post, and other readings, I was under the impression that an auto cpap machine could also be set to a fixed output if that's what's needed. However,
I just called Resmed customer support and they told me that the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto could not be set to fixed mode and if I wanted that I would need
another machine. Maybe the Resmed agent was wrong I'm not understanding the terminology? Thanks.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed machines are easily identified by the name Resmed on the lower right front of the machine, along with the word CPAP, Elite or Autoset. The Autoset for Her is white with an in-laid leaf design. The model is on the lower-right next to the humidifier chamber. The model is 37028 for the Autoset with heated tube, 37027 for Autoset without heated tube and 37029 for Autoset For Her with heated tube.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it would help you, there is a sample CPAP prescription form in my signature. This can be used as a tool to assist your doctor in writing a prescription for the machine you prefer.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 10:02 AM)jmjm28 Wrote: Fred,

Thank you. From your post, and other readings, I  was under the impression that an auto cpap machine could also be set to a fixed output if that's what's needed. However,
I just called Resmed customer support and they told me that the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto could not be set to fixed mode and if I wanted that I would need
another machine. Maybe the Resmed agent was wrong I'm not understanding the terminology? Thanks.

Jim

The agent is wrong or possibly didn’t understand your question.  
The Auto Cpap can be set to  Auto mode or Cpap mode.  The Cpap machine can only run in Cpap mode.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
jmjm28, all these excellent responses assume that your need of a CPAP or APAP is correct.  If it happens that you need a Bi-level PAP or even an ASV, then it will be a somewhat different ball game.  However, even if that were the case, the ResMed machines are very good choices in each of the alternative outcomes of your sleep study.

So in summary, don't focus too tightly on the APAP machines until your sleep study results have been compiled.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Shaun, makes sense, just trying to get up to speed. Somewhat related -- I recently purchased a CMS 50F Pulse Oximeter, used it several nights, and found that I'm averaging around 10 desaturation events per hour using the SP02 Assistant software which defines an event as a drop of 4% for at least 10 minutes. Are these the same type of events (>5 hour with symptons) that Medicare uses to qualify you for a CPAP machine. In other words, assuming the CMS 50F is accurate, should I reasonably assume that my professional home sleep study will show a CPAP qualifying diagnosis or are we talking apples and oranges?

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 809 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.