Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Choosing a CPAP Machine
RE: Need Help Choosing a CPAP Machine
(06-13-2018, 09:44 AM)jmjm28 Wrote: Thanks. Is there a model number for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset so I can double check it against what I get.

I just went through the same selection process myself, and ended up getting a Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her.  I chose the For Her model as it has all the same features as the regular Autoset plus an additional mode for slower pressure increase.  I just picked up the machine this morning, so have no experience with it at night yet!

Part number shown on the invoice is 37210 for "Airsense 10 Autoset For Her w/ClimateLineAir".
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming you're a man, Is the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her a common choice for men? How did you make that decision? In any event, good luck with your new machine and let us know how it goes!

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 04:39 PM)jmjm28 Wrote: Assuming you're a man, Is the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her a common choice for men? How did you make that decision? In any event, good luck with your new machine and let us know how it goes!

Jim

Jim, the Airsense 10 Autoset for Her has an additional algorithm that Resmed claims was designed for the needs of women.  I dunno.  It is faster to respond to the first flow limitation, but slows the response to OA above 12 cm H2O pressure.  Most of the cases I have seen respond better to the standard Autoset response algorithm, but in some cases where flow limitation is strongly prevalent, it can keep the machine from running away to excessively high pressures.  YMMV.  I don't see it as a difference that should be marketed on sex, but rather on upper airway restriction syndrome UARS.  This is a product looking for a target patient, and the standard Autoset meets most needs most of the time, and when it doesn't, I'd prefer to see an Aircurve 10 Vauto in use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again. I just looked up the Aircurve 10 Vauto. Looks like another level of control. Lots to learn. Lots of questions for my sleep doc after the tests results come in.
Is there any downside to the Aircurve 10 Valto vs the 10 Airsense Autoset, other than price?

Also what happens if for example you're fitted for the Airsense Autoset but after use, it's not working and your doctor thinks you need a bi-level machine? Will Medicare take the first machine back and then pay for a bi-level or are you stuck with the machine originally ordered?

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't speak on Medicare policy and procedure due to lack of experience.

I can say that the Vauto is an excellent machine. The Vauto can be configured just like an autoset. It also has all the capabilities of bilevel therapy. No downside other than cost.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
The downside is that qualifying for a bilevel machine will require that you don't tolerate, or fail to get efficacy from CPAP. You might persuade your doctor to write the script, but insurance is going to probably deny the first application for bilevel, and make getting the machine more difficult. I got mine, but it's not easy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 12:59 PM)jmjm28 Wrote: Thanks Shaun, makes sense, just trying to get up to speed. Somewhat related -- I recently purchased a CMS 50F Pulse Oximeter, used it several nights, and found that I'm averaging around 10 desaturation events per hour using the SP02 Assistant software which defines an event as a drop of 4% for at least 10 minutes. Are these the same type of events (>5 hour with symptons) that Medicare uses to qualify you for a CPAP machine. In other words, assuming the CMS 50F is accurate, should I reasonably assume that my professional home sleep study will show a CPAP qualifying diagnosis or are we talking apples and oranges?

Jim

No; yes: saturation events are separate from obstructive events (though they may or may not coincide), and your machine doesn't (won't) factor those events into the AHI number.  Why not?  You put your finger onnit: apples to oranges.

jmjm28, don't freak out over the number of events that SpO2 Assistant records; it's the level below 88%; the number of times; and the cumulative number of minutes that are worthy of freaking you out.  Any dip to or below 88% is bad, but it's how often and/or how long you're deprived of an adequate level of oxygen that is of concern.

Oh, BTW, as soon as you can, arrange to compare your oximeter readings with a known calibrated device.  In fact, in another post you mentioned at-home sleep study – I'm sure that you'll be required to wear an oximeter and a heartbeat monitor; it would be good to wear your CMS50F as well… this is Chineesium junk, y'know!  (FWIW, I found that mine is almost exactly the same as the expensive unit I was given to verify my oxygen concentrator was providing proper therapy – just because they're junk doesn't mean they don't work… sorta and for a while, anyway.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Shaun,

I did wear the CMF 50F the night of my home sleep study, so it will be interesting to compare stats.

Here are some more of my SP02 stats from that evening:
Duration: 9 hours
Total SPO2 events: 93
Time in event (min): 57.6
Avg even duration (sec): 37.2
Artifacts: .2
Basil SP02 94.2
Time(min) under 88%: .8
Events under 88%: 2
------------------------
Actually, not freaking out over the results, but more the opposite. Concerned I may not qualify for CPAP machine. Concerned because I
have several medical conditions (SVT's, High bp, Nocturia, Daytime Fatigue) where a CPAP machine would be a better alternative to other
medical/surgical therapies. Assuming of course they are caused at least in part by sleep apnea which is a big unknown at this point. I agree
on the "accuracy" of the CMF 50F. I compared it to a Nonan and the 50F was frequently 1 to 2% points lower with occasional big drops that
were artifacts.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Jimjim, I've been treated for several conditions including hypertension as well but I wasn't even close to borderline so I can't contribute to your arguments in favor of being scripted a PAP device.

I guess I should point out that low O₂ sat isn't going to decide the case, even though you did/do go below 88% (and honestly, I'm hoping you could get by with nothing more than an oxygen feed).  The titration in the sleep study will reveal what options there are for treating your condition(s).  I'm hoping that what they come up with won't be terribly difficult or invasive!

Please keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply
Will keep you posted. Thanks. I will mention the idea of "oxygen feed" to the doc if relevant. I'm learning something new here every day!

Just went you get up to speed on condition "x", you come down with condition "y" and have to start the process all over again. Part of getting older I guess Smile

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 94 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,748 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 811 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.