Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Choosing a CPAP Machine
RE: Need Help Choosing a CPAP Machine
(06-13-2018, 09:20 PM)jmjm28 Wrote: Just went you get up to speed on condition "x", you come down with condition "y" and have to start the process all over again. Part of getting older I guess Smile

Jim

Just think of it as an opportunity to keep on learning... as long as you're learning, you're not too old.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 06:26 PM)jmjm28 Wrote: Thanks again. I just looked up the Aircurve 10 Vauto. Looks like another level of control. Lots to learn. Lots of questions for my sleep doc after the tests results come in.
Is there any downside to the Aircurve 10 Valto vs the 10 Airsense Autoset, other than price?

Also what happens if for example you're fitted for the Airsense Autoset but after use, it's not working and your doctor thinks you need a bi-level machine? Will Medicare take the first machine back and then pay for a bi-level or are you stuck with the machine originally ordered?

Jim

Bold info addressed:

To the best of my knowledge, if you're dispensed any level of a CPAP, BPAP, etc., and you fail to get the required therapy results, this would likely trigger a new sleep study unless the prior one shows evidence of need for a higher level machine. Secondly, you also have to fail on the lower level machines before insurance approval to move up to BPAP or an ST or ASV. I don't think this is just limited to Medicare but most insurance plans.

Helpful hint: always try to use whichever level of device you are issued. If, like me, a certain level of CPAP makes your symptoms worse, contact the Doc immediately and be the squeaky wheel that needs greased.

Welcome to the Apnea Board BTW.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With regards to the For Her or Regular models of the Resmed Airsense 10. There is an option in the settings for the regular model for "soft response" that mimics the settings on the For Her model. My understanding is that the differences are purely cosmetic between the two now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome Dave. But where was the "sarcasm" per your screen name? I only saw excellent advice! I should hear back on my home sleep study late next week.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2018, 11:36 AM)jmjm28 Wrote: Thanks for the welcome Dave. But where was the "sarcasm" per your screen name?  I only saw excellent advice! I should hear back on my home sleep study late next week.

Jim

It seems that he's insulting you by not insulting you, you hockey puck!  IOW, you're beneath his threshold for slamming with sarcasm.  (If it makes you feel any better, I'm beneath his notice as well. <phony sob>)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2018, 11:36 AM)jmjm28 Wrote: Thanks for the welcome Dave. But where was the "sarcasm" per your screen name?  I only saw excellent advice! I should hear back on my home sleep study late next week.

Jim

Thanks. The sarcasm part has a limiter if I want to be allowed my daily coffee.

Best to ya on whichever direction your therapy path takes you. FWIW I had to do the insurance/doc/DME 3 step dance from CPAP to BPAP to ASV due to the Central Apneas being a dominant issue. Neither CPAP or BPAP could address that despite attempts to try various settings. That's where the advice to complain/squeak lots and often come from. Be sure it will result in changes as necessary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2018, 11:41 AM)ShaunBlake Wrote:

Jim

It seems that he's insulting you by not insulting you, you hockey puck!  IOW, you're beneath his threshold for slamming with sarcasm.  (If it makes you feel any better, I'm beneath his notice as well. <phony sob>)

I try to balance real posts with sarcastic humor. I never wish to come across as a jerk, although that attempt fails at times... Coffee

Oh, be careful for that which you have asked for...... Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 12:59 PM)jmjm28 Wrote: Thanks Shaun, makes sense, just trying to get up to speed. Somewhat related -- I recently purchased a CMS 50F Pulse Oximeter, used it several nights, and found that I'm averaging around 10 desaturation events per hour using the SP02 Assistant software which defines an event as a drop of 4% for at least 10 minutes. Are these the same type of events (>5 hour with symptons) that Medicare uses to qualify you for a CPAP machine. In other words, assuming the CMS 50F is accurate, should I reasonably assume that my professional home sleep study will show a CPAP qualifying diagnosis or are we talking apples and oranges?

Jim

Apples and oranges.  Medicare's primary requirement is an AHI of 5 or over.  If you don't meet that, the doc has to file a bunch of other paperwork to qualify.  This is especially true when your problem is diminished lung capacity or a heart problem vs. apnea.   They fudged my numbers just a bit - I would have qualified for the low oxygen level, but there would have been a lot more paperwork.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2018, 11:20 AM)Marillion Wrote: With regards to the For Her or Regular models of the Resmed Airsense 10.  There is an option in the settings for the regular model for "soft response" that mimics the settings on the For Her model.  My understanding is that the differences are purely cosmetic between the two now.

When I got my Resmed Airsense 10 For Her the mode was set to auto for her. In this mode the machine will not rise the pressure above 12 in respond to OA's.  It will continue to respond to FL though. The health care people in my hospital was not aware of this, and kept rising my max pressure to 15 and then 17. And still I had these clusters of OA while the max pressure never went above 12. I believe this mode is only in the For Her machine.

Thankfully someone in this forum made me aware of this particular mode, so I switched to autoset.

Kristin
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2018, 01:07 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 12:59 PM)jmjm28 Wrote: Thanks Shaun, makes sense, just trying to get up to speed. Somewhat related -- I recently purchased a CMS 50F Pulse Oximeter, used it several nights, and found that I'm averaging around 10 desaturation events per hour using the SP02 Assistant software which defines an event as a drop of 4% for at least 10 minutes. Are these the same type of events (>5 hour with symptons) that Medicare uses to qualify you for a CPAP machine. In other words, assuming the CMS 50F is accurate, should I reasonably assume that my professional home sleep study will show a CPAP qualifying diagnosis or are we talking apples and oranges?

Jim

Apples and oranges.  Medicare's primary requirement is an AHI of 5 or over.

So you're saying that "desaturation events" and "AHI events" are different animals. Could you please explain the difference. I've tried to research it
online but couldn't get a clear answer. Thanks.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,433 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 155 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 191 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 405 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 856 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 271 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.