Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need Help Deciding Which Machine Please...
RE: Need Help Deciding Which Machine Please...
I got off the phone from a machine dealer in Ontario.

These are the models available to me that give me the most feedback:
Remstar Pro
S9 Elite
Resmed Airsence 10

I would need a subscription for an autoset version, and I would have to show I have a varience of 6 to 10.5 from back to side to get the funding.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi player,
I'm guessing you haven't had the 2nd sleep study for titration? If not , make sure mask not leaking before you do and suggest waiting til after it's done before purchasing equipment ... if you have been there done that, please excuse the suggestions...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 11:37 AM)player Wrote: I got off the phone from a machine dealer in Ontario.

These are the models available to me that give me the most feedback:
Remstar Pro
S9 Elite
Resmed Airsence 10

I would need a subscription for an autoset version, and I would have to show I have a varience of 6 to 10.5 from back to side to get the funding.

"ResMed AirSense 10" isn't enough info. It could be the AirSense 10 "CPAP" or the AirSense 10 "Elite."

Do not accept the AirSense 10 "CPAP" model, it's data collection is crippled. The AirSense 10 "Elite" model is a good, fully data capable manual CPAP.

The REMstar PRS1 PRO or S9 Elite are fully data capable machines.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings player,

I have been on APAP since Sep 21, 2014. I used my husband's old "brick" (a brick is a "only data is time used machine") for a month previous. While it really helped with the sleep apnea it was frustrating that it was only ONE pressure and I could not get any data about how my sleeping was.

I really wish that insurance companies would use a fully data capable machine as "the base model" instead of trying to insist on the model that merely records time and can only be set for ONE pressure.

Evpraxia
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not had a 2nd titration study. The 1st study was me sleeping with no cpap, the second study was me sleeping with a cpap. That's all the studies I have had done.

Hi Evpraxia. What do you mean by one pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still really confused over the different model names and features...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 05:16 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings player,

I have been on APAP since Sep 21, 2014. I used my husband's old "brick" (a brick is a "only data is time used machine") for a month previous. While it really helped with the sleep apnea it was frustrating that it was only ONE pressure and I could not get any data about how my sleeping was.

I really wish that insurance companies would use a fully data capable machine as "the base model" instead of trying to insist on the model that merely records time and can only be set for ONE pressure.

Evpraxia

it isn't the insurance company that won't allow fully data capable and auto set machines. It is the doc that writes the script and/or the DME that makes that decision. I have a fully data capable machine (in fact, I have been prescribed two fully data capable machines) and the one I have now is a vpap auto set because I insisted on it. If I am going to pay 20% of the cost over 13 months, then I am going to get an auto set that will adjust to my needs in case they change and certainly I don't need the same pressure all night long as been seen when I download my sd card. vpap machines are expensive and I couldn't afford a do over so I forced the issue and got the auto set.

I think when Eva said one pressure she means that your machine is set at 8 for example and all night long while sleeping and using your machine, you will be at a pressure 8 all night long. So, if you need a higher pressure, you won't get it because your machine is not an auto set which will allow a range of pressure (for example 8 to 12 where your machine will use the needed pressure within that range when there is an event) Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to address your question about the model names... The PR names seem designed to deliberately confuse and obfuscate. I don't understand their system so I won't comment further.

With Resmed it's quite simple. Until recently their basic chassis was the S9, a really nicely designed unit with a humidifier which attached to the side. This has now been replaced by the A10 Airsense, which is functionally the same but with a new chassis and integrated humidifier.

The S9 comes in three basic flavours for obstructive apnea: Escape, which is a no data "brick"; Elite, which is a fixed pressure full data machine; and Autoset, which is an auto-titrating full data machine. In the A10 line, the Escape been replaced by the "Airsense CPAP" while the Elite and Autoset have been replaced by the Airsense Elite and Airsense Autoset. There is also an A10 Airsense Autoset for Her which allegedly responds to the special physiology of women. It also has improved data recording, so there's no reason a man can't use it too.

In addition to these, Resmed has various VPAP and Aircurve models which are for central apnea and other breathing difficulties.

Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 05:34 PM)player Wrote: I am still really confused over the different model names and features...

Check your inbox as I sent you a PM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 05:46 PM)me50 Wrote:
(02-07-2015, 05:16 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings player,

Evpraxia

it isn't the insurance company that won't allow fully data capable and auto set machines. It is the doc that writes the script and/or the DME that makes that decision. I have a fully data capable machine (in fact, I have been prescribed two fully data capable machines) and the one I have now is a vpap auto set because I insisted on it. If I am going to pay 20% of the cost over 13 months, then I am going to get an auto set that will adjust to my needs in case they change and certainly I don't need the same pressure all night long as been seen when I download my sd card. vpap machines are expensive and I couldn't afford a do over so I forced the issue and got the auto set.

Sorry for the confusion: what I really mean is that I wish the makers of the XPAPs would not even make a non-auto set machine.

I think when Eva said one pressure she means that your machine is set at 8 for example and all night long while sleeping and using your machine, you will be at a pressure 8 all night long. So, if you need a higher pressure, you won't get it because your machine is not an auto set which will allow a range of pressure (for example 8 to 12 where your machine will use the needed pressure within that range when there is an event) Hope this helps

Exactly what I meant but didn't say! Thanks for the clear explanation!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,138 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,248 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Deciding which first mask for snoring, back, sleeper Gabby 18 6,491 12-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Last Post: ImaSurvivor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.